Burning Bituminous Coal

Townsonbck

Post by Townsonbck » Fri. Jan. 25, 2008 1:05 am

I have found on this site that if you fill a cardboard tube with bituminous coal and put it over a hot layer of coals, the cardboard burns off and the coal stays in a round shape through it's burn cycle. I tried this and found this to be sucess ful. By putting a few of these in a wood/coal stove, I find it burns quite well and hot. The reason I had to do this was my coal had alot of fines in it and would smother my fire. The burn time was quit long to. Any one else ever heard such a thing? Jaytow

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jan. 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Yep, I used paper grocery bags, rolled a shovel full or two in the bag, set the bag between good anthracite coal or wood splits, and when the heat hit the bituminous fines, they got soft, stuck together, and made a 'coal log'. I usually broke up the 'log' into a few smaller pieces, to increase the surface area and heat output.

The fines in Bituminous are a pain, I tried to get sifted, sorted coal, but the soft coal 'makes fines' as it is handled hauled in trucks and trailers and shoveled. Hard coal doesn't make hardly any fines.

I used a fine-toothed pitchfork to sift the lumps from the fines in my bituminous. then bagged and burnt the fines in the paper grocery bags. All in all a lot of work... I eventually went with 100% anthracite hard coal.. a bit more money but much less work and worry, less ash, fewer clinkers, MUCH cleaner, NO soot.

If I lived next to the Bitum mines and breakers I'd find a way to burn it, the cost savings would offset the work..

Glad you found a way to burn up the fines...

Greg L.

Townsonbck

Post by Townsonbck » Fri. Jan. 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks L.S Farm
I,m going on my second day now and very happy in the burn. Lots of heat and long burn times. I have found a easy way of filling my cardboard tubes. I get the tubes from work and the coal from work. We operate a indoor Kiln and heat it with coal. Only problem is the coal has alot of fines in it. It,s ordered that way. All of the coal we burn at the mill goes through a coal mill first then blown in. So I try to make do with what I have at my finger tips. All the guys at work told me that this type of coal will not burn in house hold stoves. I didn't believe it so I had to try it myself! I'm glad I did and will keep that a secret around here. lol This summer I want to purchase the harmen Ls 2000. I thing thats the model. I looked at and liked it. Do you think it will burn bituminous? Its a hand fed stove. It should for the price of it! Look forward to hereing from yea, Thanks again
Jaytow

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 10:58 pm

It would be a shame to burn Bitum in that nice stove... The bitum will make the glass opaque within about ten minutes of burning... I'd lean more towards a Harman Mark II or Mark III. The Mark models have secondary air vents on the loading door, and this should help burn up the volitiles off of the Bitum coal.

Since you get your coal at work, can you use a pitch fork like I mentioned and sift out some coal from the fines before it all goes through the grinder?? If you can get the coal pieces, from say ripe olive size up to large chicken egg size, you will like the way it burns.. more surface area and more heat.

To burn bitum well, you need to add pre-heated oxygen-rich air over the fire for the first hour or so after fresh coal is added. During this first hour, the volitiles burn off the coal, and need lots of hot oxygen to fully burn. The soot from a bitum coal fire is incomplete combustion of the volitiles. Once the voltiles have burn off, the coal burns almost identical to anthracite. Some bridging, and more ash, but with clean blue flames usually.

The underfeed stoker I have in my 'Big Bertha' is designed to burn bituminous coal, As the coal is pushed up into the hot retort, under the fire, the coal is heated, the volitiles go up through the burning coal bed, get burnt completely, so the soot is minimal, then the coal continues to rise into the burning area, and burn fully.

I'd keep an eye on your local papers, craigslist.com and bulitin boards, I'd even post 'want to buy' ads for coal stoves, you never know what may show up.

Greg L

Townsonbck

Post by Townsonbck » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 12:14 pm

I find these burn nice!

Attachments

IMG_0064.JPG

Tubes I burn with bitum

.JPG | 850.5KB | IMG_0064.JPG

Townsonbck

Post by Townsonbck » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 1:18 pm

I tightly wrap the coal in the paper bag and toss in the hot coals. Burns nice and hot! Go through about ten of these a day. I figure 50 #s aday.

Attachments

IMG_0065.JPG
.JPG | 768.9KB | IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
.JPG | 1012.1KB | IMG_0063.JPG

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 17, 2019 6:52 am

Very interesting way to use fines. Anyone else tried this?

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Dec. 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Used the coal log trick since I was a little kid. Heat will fuse the fines together, newspaper keeps an open flame for volatiles.

Uses up the fines and extra newspaper that is laying around.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Ive just used paper or plastic bags but think I'll try the newspaper thing. Makes sense.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”