Flame King Boilers and Furnaces

WIcoal

Post by WIcoal » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 6:15 pm

Flame King has been made since 2001 by its current owner. Prior to that it was made by King Coal in Bismark, ND. It burns Bituminous, but they are going to test and make adjustments so it can burn Anthracite.
Does anyone use a Flame King boiler or furnace?

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 8:15 pm

The information I have on these units is that they are designed to burn lignite and subbituminous coal. FlameKing are made in North Dakota, which has vast supplies of really lousy lignite. Never thought they might be able to burn anthracite, but they are definitely not setup to burn 'normal' bituminous coal with low ash fusion temp.

WIcoal

Post by WIcoal » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 4:26 pm

I found a website from an Alaska (State of) dealer, that is devoted to Flame King boilers and furnaces. It is; http://www.coalandheat.com.

flynfish

Post by flynfish » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 3:47 am

Hi, new to the site but seen this old thread so thought I'd respond.

I have a Flame-King model 170 boiler and have been using it for the past 2.5 years. I get coal from the Usibelli Coal mine in Healy AK. The unit works wonderfully well and I consider it a very worthwhile investment. It is currently -20F and I have a toasty warm home. Some issues I've had: 1) I have been fighting bridging in the Flameking supplied hopper. I have opened up the hole and lined the inside with UHMW which helped but in the past couple of months have put a drill with a large bit into the center of the hopper that is on a timer to come on periodically when the stoker is on. This has reduced the incidence of bridging to just about nil. 2) Related to the bridging has been the ash ring paddle wearing out. Had a couple incidents of it bridging and beginning to feed while I was away from the house. Filled the fire box with coal and then stopped the ash ring form rotating but not the paddle from turning. Wore down the teeth on the ash ring and severely wore the ends of the paddle so I had to do a bit of rebuilding of the paddle to make it work again. 3) Was a bit of work to get the right combo of auger speed and combustion air supply. Was a bit smokey to begin with. Now that I've got that figured out it burns essentially smokeless and have had more than one neighbor be surprised to find out I was even burning coal.

I installed the boiler in a small out-building that is up against the side of the house. The stack actually connects to the eave of the house at the top. Keeps all the ash outside the house which is a good thing. The coal boiler is plumbed in parallel with my oil boiler for backup or when I leave for an extended period.

dpcasey

Post by dpcasey » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 9:45 pm

i have been using a Flame King Boiler for the last 6 years. I tend to get a lot of smoke via the auger and coal bin. I do not have a optimal chimney design since I do have two elbows and tend to collect fly ash over time.

I issue I currently have is my paddle seems to have moved slightly away from the ash ring and burner head. It was never lined up very well but has worked for the last 6 years. Now the paddle barely touches the ash ring "gears". I would first expect it to be wear on the paddle, but I see very little wear. It looks like something has moved but I do not know how. Any suggestions. I live in Big Horn WY. [email protected]

dpcasey

Post by dpcasey » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 9:48 pm

FYI, I use a model 170.

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Try Pease feed and coal in WY, 307 754 3757 I think it came from his web site, on the door of his truck.
http://peasefeedandcoal.com/
Coal and Heat still makes them on some sort of schedual
http://www.coalandheat.com/
He is located in Fairbanks Alaska

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't own a Flame King but I do have an auger fed stoker, and this comes to mind.
Since it is an auger fed stoker the auger has end thrust and is always trying to screw itself into the coal pile, so there needs to be some end thrust provision. So the question is, is your auger moving lengthwise and causing this problem? and if it is what is suposed to handle this endthrust?
Secondly I think those drive tangs are held to the auger with a set screw, is that loose? is the tang moving on the auger?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”