Need Advice on Stoves in Utah

ColdWife

Post by ColdWife » Tue. Dec. 18, 2007 9:27 pm

I have a new home, husband who wants hand fired coal stoves, can't find good manufacturer in Utah? Any suggestions? We ordered 2 over 8 months ago from a local guy, has never delivered, I am freezing! 4500 sq ft home, have place for 1 on each floor, he doesn't want to use pellets or stokers? Only big pieces of coal. Help would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by ColdWife on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed title

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Dec. 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Wow! It gets cold in Utah this time of year, doesn't it? Is coal to be your only source of heat, or do you have another system and don't dare run it because of the cost of fuel? With a house that big, unless each floor is a wide-open single room, you will need some way to distribute the heat -- it won't flow easily from room to room via doorways. Maybe a forced hot air system without the burner running, to suck air out of all the rooms, mix the cold with the hot from the stoves, and blow the uniform temp mixture back into the rooms? I don't know for a fact that that would work, but it seems reasonable.

As to where to get stoves, there must be other dealers? I would think you need a good analysis -- maybe hubby has already done it -- of how big the two units are to be, and what they should be designed to burn. I'm guessing something other than Pennsylvania anthracite is burned in Utah?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 18, 2007 10:01 pm

I'm assuming you are need of stove that bituminous coal so I'm moving this to the bituminous forum. I've edited your title too.

steinkebunch

Post by steinkebunch » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Seems like if you want a hand-fed, a good place to start is with a Mark III or SF250 from Harman.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/WhereToBuy.aspx?

Other hand-feds that interest me ar Glacier Bay stoves, Warm Morning, Russo, Baker, etc. Harman dealer near SLC for sure. Others would probably have higher shipping costs. I know that there are lots of combustioneer underfed stokers in Utah as well.

Good luck.

Steinke

nyronian

Post by nyronian » Wed. Jan. 02, 2008 10:43 am

Where you able to get your stoves? I am from Utah and have some good sources for stoves. (I do not sell them myself but have access to dealers). I can specifically get a nice Hitzer stove but have access to others. I know how cold it has been. I bought a house this last year and am looking at getting one in my home soon!! My propane bill is about to put me in the poor house!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”