I Have Coal and No Clue.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 8:04 pm

mamaduck60 wrote:I did pick up the coal. It is shiny and does not crumble.
The home is about 3900sq ft, two stories. Right now it is heated with a boiler system, radiator in every room.
I would much rather give the stuff away (Luckily the cellar door is right next to the coal). Any home repairs/renovations that touch the outside of the house have to be authorized through city channels because of the historic landmark stuff.
what fuel heats the boiler?

how concerned are you about that fuel cost? ;)

mamaduck60

Post by mamaduck60 » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Don't laugh, but we don't have lighter! I have a gas stove though....Nah, bad idea!

mamaduck60

Post by mamaduck60 » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 8:09 pm

The boiler is heated by gas. We haven't even been in the house a month yet so I am clueless about the different utility costs we will experience. I understand all fuel costs money but realistically we cannot afford a coal system right now.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 8:12 pm

ahhh I guess its natural gas and not propane gas...

prolly quite economical to stick with gas and give the coal away for free.....

me, I rather have several heating options....the be prepared in me 8-)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 8:14 pm

mamaduck60 wrote:Don't laugh, but we don't have lighter! I have a gas stove though....Nah, bad idea!
Propane gas or natural gas? If it is natural gas, and your boiler is running off of the same, you might as well just stay with that (and consider an upgrade to a high efficiency condensing NG boiler someday). Right now (in Ohio at least) natural gas is less expensive than anthracite, but it is still more expensive than bituminous.

Is the heating done via circulating hot water or is it via steam? When I think of radiators, I think of steam, but I'd imagine that there might be radiators that would handle circulating hot water instead of steam.

If your gas boiler is older, and you switch to a modern condensing gas boiler, you could drop your heat bill by as much as 40%

mamaduck60

Post by mamaduck60 » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Natural gas and circulating hot water. The system is fairly new. Every inspector has oohed and aahed over it. And I will readily admit, the radiators are pretty and I would hate to lose them.
And a big huge THANK YOU! for helping me understand my home.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. Oct. 08, 2012 8:37 am

It looks like stoker sized coal I think I see pyrite in some of it, its very common for ohio coal to have pyrite.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Oct. 09, 2012 12:39 am

mamaduck60 wrote:I did pick up the coal. It is shiny and does not crumble.
The only way to know for sure what type of coal it is is to burn a little bit of it. If you don't have any kind of torch, you could squirt some lighter fluid on a handful and light it. If after the lighter fluid burns away the coal is smoking and maybe has shinny tar substance beginning to melt out of the pieces of coal then it would be bituminous(soft coal). Soft coal would be easier to light than anthracite (hard coal) and burn with yellow/orange flame with smoke coming off the tips of the flames.

Also, anthracite tends to make a snap/crackle/popping noise when lighting.

My guess would be that it is regular bituminous stoker coal but that's just a guess ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”