"New" Warm Morning 500

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 5:50 am

AlaskaCoal1 wrote:
That was awesome--- I did not see a ash ring on the burn pot -- how do ashes get discarded on that stoker.
If burning bit coal you would remove the clinkers from around the pot. If burning anthracite, the ashes just fall over the side and into the ash pit.

AlaskaCoal1
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Sequoya Outdoor boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC, Warm Morning 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Beckwith Round Oak
Coal Size/Type: Alaska Sub Bit Lump

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 2:25 am

Night #1 of what is forecasted to be a week of these type of temps. Not suppose to see above -30 until Sunday.

The small thermometer is what it is in the barn with JUST the Warm Morning cranking away... do not even have the air inlet open and the rosemont and all dampers are cranked closed. Running about -.03 on the manometer. Obviously the other temp is the current outside temp.

Attachments

IMG_1821.JPG

Barn temps with only the WM burning

.JPG | 55.8KB | IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1820_2.JPG

Cold night forecast to be -44 overnight

.JPG | 117.2KB | IMG_1820_2.JPG

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 8:24 am

fantastic !! that's a 90* differential and something any stove and operator should be proud of, esp. considering the conditions.

well done indeed.

72 or more hrs. of those outside temps. will certainly make a vicious attempt to work their way into the interior but you have a fine head start on it and from the sounds of the present adjustments plenty of room to get more output.

i'd start moving quantities of fuel in there so you don't need to open the door more than twice a day for tending and put the ash in a barrel till the weather breaks.

you must have a pretty neat water management system too. it would be cool to hear about that.

steve

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 11:38 am

KC-- you are correct. when I posted the temps had only been -40 for a few hours. Although it had been -30 to -35 for hours. With that said when I went to bed it was 53.... when I woke up after 8 hours of burning it was 43. plenty of fire to get her restarted and after only 30 min we are back up to 45 and climbing. I am thinking that the WM will need more air and more fuel to hold the line but overall I am very proud of the stove. The other issue is I am on a new batch of coal that burns totally different than the last so I am again in a small learning curve. Seems that the coal is hard to start but once it gets going ... watch out. I am tracking my coal consumption during this time so stay tuned for that data. ... I know right now I am bragging and a proud papa but I sure hope all of this might help someone figure out an issue at some point... I know this forum has helped me and I constantly am researching and trying to learn from others on here... I am still an overall youngster burning coal but each day I learn something new. Just a quick thank you to all the active members here... this is the best forum I have ever been apart of and answers/opinions always come quickly

KC... confused on water management system... I have no water in the barn except for the water running from the Outdoor boiler (which has not even come into play at this point) other than that no water in the barn.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 12:50 pm

my comment about water was reguarding the house actually. I was just thinking that in my area I doubt there are many domestic water supply systems that would survive a 4-5 day -40F event.

steve

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:53 pm

so the concrete slab is starting to "warm"....
Now the WM BTU can keep up with the BTU leaving the building...

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Jan. 18, 2017 10:56 pm

That's a big temperature different glad the stove is holding up.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 4:27 am

I know the floor is warming.... to what degree I do not know cause I do not trust my IR thermometer... shot the floor right next to a puddle of water and it said 21 degrees... hmmmmm... doubt that since water freezes at 32. all I know is that no ice on the floor. the high today was -39... really warmed up... the stove could not hold the line at 50 but did hold at around 45-48. I might have been able to hold 50 if I had been able to open the air and feed it more often but honestly 45 in these temps was good enough.

KC as far as water ... nearly all the homes in this area have the well under the house. We have extremely shallow water here. my well is around 25 feet of the best water you will ever taste .... but has to be in a heated area otherwise at these temps nearly any outside device will fail. Some run heat tape but most of us just pump a little warm air under the house to ensure no issues... my home has a 6 inch thick concrete wall the the floor joist hook into with insulation on the outside of that to help keep the frost and moisture out. I do not think about the well failing and having to drive another one... that would be a bad day since I would have to tear up my tile floor. Systems in extreme cold do fail and you will see water lines that are 10 feet down burst... especially if there is little snow on the ground to help insulate.

With the comment about not trusting my IR thermometer... anybody have a good way to calibrate or at least test for accuracy... I bought mine off of Amazon and it had good reviews but I am concerned about the accuracy and if it gets better or worse with temp increases or decreases. I shot my pex pipe today on the boiler and it read 50 degrees one time and 80 the next but the aqua stat was reading 150... that along with the floor ready made me very wary. I am also thinking about a probe style thermometer for the stove pipes... I am tired of buying 15 dollar magnets that stop working accurately within weeks.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 5:46 am

well under the house is exactly what I expected.

i have lived in houses where that was the case, because some prepper had built it and wanted more supply security than damage protection down here. there are many homes around here that are on metered city supply and also have a driven shallow well thru the basement floor for the same reasons.

seems you are doing real well, keep at it.

steve

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 10:07 am

As to accuracy of IR Temp, best to avoid reflective surfaces or relective colored surfaces.

Some have found to use a spray dot of flat black paint from a rattle can where temps are desired to be consistent.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 11:11 am

thanks for the tip on the black paint I will give it a try. I just found out that my thermometer was wrong and it is not -40 here instead it is -50 right now and was -56 last night ... my digital one just stops at -40. The positive is the stove worked better than ever expected... the negative is this information destroyed my psychological edge... all I want to do is go get back in bed. walking out to get coal the only portion of my body showing were my eyes... half way there the moisture from my breath froze one of them shut.... I have to seriously ask the question... Why do I live here again....:D

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 11:22 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 11:38 am

My IR gun acted up just the other day; giving false low readings. Just needed new batteries.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm new here...(still need to read the entire thread)

...and I sure am glad to see some pictures of your Warm Morning stove. That particular model reminds me of the stove at the old feed mill when I was a kid, but more importantly it reminds of the old Warm Morning stove in my great aunt's home in eastern KY when I was a kid, though theirs was green in color and probably a 400 model if it's smaller. The house was probably about 1000sq.ft.

I'd love to find one of these stoves in usable and reasonably good condition or better. I've been looking for them on youtube and couldn't find a video of one. Glad I joined here...if nothing for the jolt of the good memory.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Fri. Jan. 20, 2017 12:07 pm

HM-- welcome.. the old WM that is currently working now in the shop was a find out of an old barn on a piece of property I bought. Without the help of those here it most likely would have been disconnected by now. The rosemont add on was the ticket that made the stove work for me. I wish it was in better shape and I do wish it was the larger 400 model for longer burn times but I am glad I have it cause it does burn well. I am still getting comfortable with the loading process and trusting the flues to prevent puff backs with large amounts of coal loaded but overall.. it is a keeper and I will most likely refurb it in the summer... needs new bolts paint and such.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”