Anyone Know Much About These Boilers...?

pura vida

Post by pura vida » Wed. Jun. 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Trying to find a boiler that is going to work for me but i'm having hard time. as the title says, anyone know any good or bad about these two. they are made in poland, here is the site where they can be found.

kotly.com

these are the two boilers,
Per-Eko or Ling

thanks

cory

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jun. 01, 2011 8:25 pm

you get what you pay for my friend ;)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jun. 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Since they are European boilers, parts and service may prove to be a nightmare.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Wed. Jun. 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Don't know about those boilers at all but how much would it cost just for shipping to AK?

pura vida

Post by pura vida » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 1:48 pm

freetown fred wrote:you get what you pay for my friend ;)
couldn't agree more, but why are these bad? what's wrong with them? please, please give me some better options that will burn sub-bit and are underfed. i'm not having much luck getting suggestions and everything I can find says to burn just anthracite (sp?). and are usually gravity fed, which seems to be concern with sub-bit. shipping would be expensive and parts would obviously be a bitch, but everything I've found up here are the outdoor boilers in a dog house. which will be $15-20K so I would still be way ahead even with the shipping. I want an inside underfed stoker boiler for new construction. I know what I want is out there, am I just looking in the wrong places?? thanks

pv

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Not sure if they are available but EFM was testing a boiler with a modified design that used soft coal:

Testing of Nova Scotia Bituminous

One very important thing I will point out, be sure it's been tested with the coal you want to use. If you get a coal that is going to klinker a lot it's going to be a nightmare.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 4:17 pm

You pointed out the only bad aspects that I can think of--if one of those stoves prove to be the ONE--go for it--just be sure you're comfortable with the manufacturer--hell, sometimes people have problems here in the States with the manufacturers :( --to give you an idea of my geographical knowledge up your way--for all I know, you may be closer to Poland then you are to Pa/NY :clap: toothy
pura vida wrote:
freetown fred wrote:you get what you pay for my friend ;)
couldn't agree more, but why are these bad? what's wrong with them? please, please give me some better options that will burn sub-bit and are underfed. i'm not having much luck getting suggestions and everything I can find says to burn just anthracite (sp?). and are usually gravity fed, which seems to be concern with sub-bit. shipping would be expensive and parts would obviously be a bitch, but everything I've found up here are the outdoor boilers in a dog house. which will be $15-20K so I would still be way ahead even with the shipping. I want an inside underfed stoker boiler for new construction. I know what I want is out there, am I just looking in the wrong places?? thanks

pv

pura vida

Post by pura vida » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 4:29 pm

i know of a couple per-eko boilers that are being used up here with the coal we have and in a colder area that I live in. they bought from the site I listed above. I haven't had a chance to talk to the owner directly yet, although i'm hoping to soon, just the coal distributor that supplies coal to them. i'm a little frustrated b/c i'm having a harder time than I expected finding different options that will work for me.

i am building new, have no access to nat gas and oil is over $4/gallon now. if I can get the details figured out I want an underfed stoker in my dedicated mechanical room with an excavated and lined (cement, wood, ??) 10-20 ton storage bin on the outside of the building with the coal being augured through the wall. it would be really nice if I could also add an ash augur and send the ash back through the wall someplace outside.

so I was under the impression, from reading other post here, people preferred klinkers to ash? is this wrong? or does it depend on the boiler and setup?

thanks

pv

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 4:47 pm

loose ash is nice if you want to have an ash auger. If you don't want/can't do an ash auger setup, a clinkering type stoker is nice because it substantially reduces the volume of ash that you have to cart out of the basement. The only other downside to a clinkering type stoker is that, depending on the size of the ash pan with a non-clinkering stoker, you may have more frequent clinker removal; generally once/day in cold weather and once every other day in mild weather. If you have a non-clinkering type stoker, the volume of ash removed may be much higher, but with a large ash pan you may be able to go a few days in cold weather without ash removal; if you're using high ash, low BTU alaska coal, chances are you won't be able to go more than a day between ash removal with either type of stoker.

pura vida

Post by pura vida » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 6:58 pm

thanks for the info berlin, that lined me out. the search continues...

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jun. 02, 2011 8:31 pm

pura vida wrote: so I was under the impression, from reading other post here, people preferred klinkers to ash? is this wrong? or does it depend on the boiler and setup?
My advice was specific to the efm, should have made that clear. Anthracite white ash doesn't clinker at all, the red ash has a tendency to clinker a little especially if fired really hot. The efm is designed for for coal with those characteristics and the internals can't accommodate large clinkers, simply not enough space and/or obstructions for it to fall into the ash tub if it's large. I know one thing, if the efm is suitable I'd consider it over any European stoker especially if the European model is going to exceed the cost of the efm. That's a once in lifetime purchase. ;)

Here is some videos from testing with coal from Wyoming, that coal would be very suitable, As you can see it's powder. The major modifications they made is larger auger and they used a prill pot which apparently grinds the clinkers up.

pura vida

Post by pura vida » Fri. Jun. 03, 2011 1:59 am

thanks for the info and vids. i'll try to call efm directly and see if it would work for me. thanks again.

pv

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jun. 03, 2011 3:52 am

Here comes that EFM pitch again. Massive infrastructure costs in hydronics and chimneys and it's just not necessary. That's all I will say, my posts say the rest. Giving specific stove advice without seeing the actual location and money available is a troublesome position to me. EFM won't work for me and my solutions worked GREAT last winter. Look before you leap.

pura vida

Post by pura vida » Fri. Jun. 03, 2011 11:28 pm

i'm definitely not set on any specific boiler yet. just looking for suggestions so I can hopefully make an informed decision. what type of boiler are you using?

pv

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 04, 2011 3:02 am

coalnewbie wrote: Massive infrastructure costs in hydronics and chimneys and it's just not necessary.
In some cases it isn't, you may already have the baseboard. Having said that baseboard heating can't be beat if you want to make the investment. ;)

Chimney? You need a chimney or you can cut costs short term by power venting but that doesn't save money long term.
coalnewbie wrote:Giving specific stove advice without seeing the actual location and money available is a troublesome position to me.
The OP was asking about boilers and in this case soft coal boilers. There is a very limited amount of products available whether it's a boiler of hot air furnace.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”