Newbie Needs Lots of Help

IceMan2010

Post by IceMan2010 » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Anyone have any experience with Combustioneer C 11 stoker furnace?
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.I have tried all combinations of feed rate,draft,air blower,and damper adjustment combinations I can think of.I still get large clinkers and sometimes not completely burned coal.I have tried coal ranging in size from 1&1/4" down to dust,occasionaly get a good burn but very seldom.Bought unit used and have no user manual nor instructions.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Hello and welcome, since this is a bituminous coal burner, I'm going to move it to the Bituminous coal forum for better exposure to the Bituminous gurus..

Greg L

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 8:22 pm

IceMan2010 wrote:Anyone have any experience with Combustioneer C 11 stoker furnace?
Possibly, but perhaps not. That doesn't mean we can't help, but, we will need dimensions of the interior of the stove as well as pictures. Also the size & type of chimney will help. Once we get a grip on the device and setup I'm sure someone will give you good advice & get it burning as well as it can. Clean photo's of the grates will be helpful also.
Do you have a manometer and barometric damper?

Welcome to the Forum!

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the bituminous forum!

I'm not familiar with your particular stove, so pics of your setup might help as well as details about the coal - where it's from etc., however, some of us here have lots of experience with bit stokers in general.

Ideally you want good stoker coal 1-1/4" max top size x 1/4" (ideally that top size isn't over 1" and is known as "pea stoker" but if the slightly larger size will fit through your screw, you can use it). You want coal that's low in ash (less than 12%) and has a low "coke button" or FSI number, less than 6 is good for a stoker.
For a new stoker setup check a few things - 1. Allow a buildup of loose ash ( you should have at least 6" of loose ash over the tuyeres at all times) - do NOT shovel loose ash, wait for a clinker to form. 2. the effect of air adjustments take a while to demonstrait themselves via the appearance of the fuelbed, so adjust in small increments and wait for about 8 hours to make a determination - this takes patience. 3. Use a barometric draft regulator in your chimney and set it at -.04 on the baro (a manometer is great, but not necessary).

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”