Whats Better With Sub-Bit, 50-93 or 83?

murphyslaw

Post by murphyslaw » Mon. Jan. 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Think I may get a Hitzer stove, but which one?

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 12:16 am

How big the house and where in it will the stove be?

murphyslaw

Post by murphyslaw » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 12:58 am

2200sqft. Lower level. Lots of air circulation.

Built in 81' bad windows, poor insulation.

Don't expect it to provide all my heat, but as much as possible would be sweet.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 2:44 am

Dude, im pretty sure the 55 would be enough for you, but then again huge windows and crap insulation....maybe the 82. My buddy's 55 heats a house about 2000 sq ft no problem. But then again its hooked up to a forced air unit. An 82 would be awesome to just sit downstairs and pump out the heat without a forced air setup. What kind of heating do you have now? Would you be able to hook up a forced air setup? How often will you be around to mess with the stove?

murphyslaw

Post by murphyslaw » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 2:58 am

We have a 80k BTU boiler that can't keep up when it's below 0.

I do what I can to winterized, film on the windows. All outlets and switches in exterior walls are sealed.

It depends when I'm around. Some times I'm here for days. Some times I'm not home for days. But the wife is usually here when I'm not.

I like the looks of the 50-93, but I think the 83 fits with the hardwood floors and cedar ceilings. The wife would have final say, just like to have the info she ask about. I know she will ask "what will work best.

I already have a 8" stove pipe downstairs, so either one will hook up with out issue.

She is a capable gal, and tends the wood stove just fine when I'm not here. I think she will learn coal without issue.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 6:38 am

82 all the way. You have access to cheap coal and have a house that needs it. Loading it and all is easy enough that anyone, even your wife, can keep it going while youre away. Just keep in mind a place to dump the ash. The coal up here seems to produce a crap ton of ash. Dump it away from where you might walk in the summer time. Right now im cracking windows because its close to 90 degrees. It'll get to the point where you'll begin to wish for cold weather.

ontheroad

Post by ontheroad » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 12:46 pm

say I was under the impression that a 50-93 with the hopper was not suited for bit coal

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”