VC Vigilant LL

murphyslaw

Post by murphyslaw » Thu. Jul. 22, 2010 10:29 pm

I have the oportunity to pick up a vigilant ll for sub 1000 bucks. Is that decent for a 4 yr old stove? I know right now new they are 1700. What are some things to look for when I inspect this thing? I will be driving 6hrs to where it is. So it's a one time thing I either get it or don't.

Will be using it as suplamental hear for my 2200sq/ft home. Once I finish building my other stove I am hoping they will keep the whole house toasty.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Jul. 22, 2010 11:18 pm

i'm not as familiar with the stove itself as many other members are. However, I would say for $1000 it better be lightly used and in excellent condition. I can buy a vigilant from local hvac suppliers (not stove shops) for 1300 new - this is the price for anyone that walks through the door, not some wholesale etc. discount. I personally wouldn't pay more than 700 for a used Vigilant in good condition, but that may be just me.

on edit: I see you're in alaska, this may change things. the prices may well be much higher (I used to live in sitka, and believe me, prices for everything were much higher), and in that situation, I wouldn't necessarily say that 1000 for a used stove is too much, it may be a good deal.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Jul. 23, 2010 12:55 am

I can't opine on price. But here's a few places to check.
  • don't worry about the brick, they're easily replaced.
  • Check the front grill for warpage. Look at my video on spring burning - the grill is warped. ~ $60 to replace it. If it's badly warped, the inside side of the fire box might crack.
  • Open the internal damper (handle on stove's right) then the griddle. Look at the line created by the fire back meeting the internal damper at the top along the line where the damper hinges. The fire back should be fairly straight and not much sagging.
  • Pull the grill out then the fettle and lift the grates out. Check them for warpage. While they're out, look at the rear shaker where the grates rest. Some play is okay but it should be straight.
  • Move the push rod when the grates are assembled and disassembled. Everything should move freely.
  • With the grates out, you can see if the air inlet restrictor plate is in place. You can also pull a clean out plate to see if the area between the fire box and the outside of the stove (this is a double box stove design) has been cleaned.

Attachments

Copy of DSC05297.JPG

A front grill in good condition. Check the left or right lower horizontal bars for sag.

.JPG | 155.9KB | Copy of DSC05297.JPG
DSC04716.JPG

Not a good picture of the grates. If you get to this point, lift them out and check them.

.JPG | 130.7KB | DSC04716.JPG
VC Vigilant Air Restrictor.jpg

The air restircting plate requiered for bit, located in the stove's lower right below the grates.

.JPG | 112.1KB | VC Vigilant Air Restrictor.jpg

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Jul. 23, 2010 1:25 am

More pictures of check points.

All the front pieces are removed. The air inles is just behind the rear grate mount, visible behind the teeth on your left. The three clean out plates can be seen.
Heres the high and low grates plus the font grate support.

Attachments

grates.JPG

Hight and low grates. Front grate support. They're wet, I just wiped the ash off therefore the odd spots.

.JPG | 29.2KB | grates.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”