Bit in a Hitzer 354

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Mon. Mar. 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Is anyone burning bit in a Hitzer 354? I'm seriously considering one but I always like first hand knowledge of how something works if it's available. Thanks.

Josh H

Post by Josh H » Wed. Mar. 24, 2010 10:20 pm

I think it was made for bit. Great heat and burn times.
I do wish the ash pan were much bigger. I burn low grade, high ash, local bit from a limestone quarry, and don't like to dump ash 2X per day durning the coldest weather.
It is also a great wood burner, takes a nice long log.

murphyslaw

Post by murphyslaw » Sat. Jul. 17, 2010 10:52 am

If you don't mind me Sking, how much was the 354?

About how long does a load last? How big is your place? Construction? Typical weather?

About to pull the trigger on a stove so trying to find a good one. I have a 2200sqft split level that is heated with a 80k BTU boiler. And a wood stove to help. The boiler keeps it warm but the run times in the winter are breaking my pocketbook.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Jul. 17, 2010 9:18 pm

the issue you'll run into, and have to take into account when anyone on here is talking about burn times etc. using bit, is that most of the bit being talked about here is 12,000btu/lb+ eastern bituminous, not the 8,000btu/lb (+/-) alaskan subbituminous coal you'll have access to. not that alaskan coal isn't a good burning coal, from what I've heard it's very nice to burn, but the fuel density is not as great so the volume of the firebox will have to be considerably larger to generate the BTU's and longer load times that you'll want.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”