Pennsylvania Bituminous Coal???

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Fri. Nov. 03, 2006 1:23 pm

So I see in member BERLIN sig line he has this statement:
Burning Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY moisture:3.38 volitiles:29.33 Carbon:64.93 Ash:5.73 BTU:14,781/lb
OK. I understand that we folks here in NE Pennsylvania are the fortunate ones sitting directly on top of the grand motherload of anthracite....But do we have Bituminous Coal up here in NEPA? And if so......who qarries it?

I'd like to guarantee that when I buy my coal, it is 100% anthracite with no mix. I say that cuz a majority of my coal has that glassy/shiny characteristic of anthracite......but there is a heck of a lot of dark/dull far-less-than-pretty coal too.

I buy my coal from a supplier that seems to have been around forever. I buy from them cuz that is where the previous homeowner bought it from ( in West Side Scranton ).

Does our Forum Admin deliver to Moscow?

(Moscow, Pennsylvania for all the non NEPA'ers! )

:P 8)

Gary in Pennsylvania

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Nov. 03, 2006 2:41 pm

"But do we have Bituminous Coal up here in NEPA?"

no. not unless it is shipped from western pa. the dull material is not bituminous, if it were, you would know it, the flame would be yellow, there would be smoke, and the coal bed would behave strangely compared to what you are used to.

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Fri. Nov. 03, 2006 3:12 pm

Ahhhhh.....

Thanks for the info!
The glow in my bed is reddish orange but any flames that exist above the bed as a pretty blue.

I've cleaned my own chimney every year since I bought the house. I start with a pristine cleaned stove after I've shut 'er down for the season ( and the weather is warm ) and then I go up on the roof 'fly-fishing-rod-like' sections and wire brush to clean it out. I get hardly no deposits/soot/whatever falling down into the box.

Coal burns cleeeean! 8)

Gary in Pennsylvania

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Fri. Nov. 03, 2006 7:47 pm

I live in Western Md. real close to the Wv. border and I burn Bit. coal . I agree with berlin about the pellow/orange flame comming from most but. coal. But the coal I get does burn blue and does not smoke at all after about 3-5 minutes. I think alot of the smoke I get when I first thorw the coal on is from the moisture and the dust/fines that is on the coal.

I'm sure Ls farm will tell you that with Bituminous coal it all depends on the mine you purchase it from. I have atleast 4-6 mines within 10 miles of my house and one day one particular mine might have some REALLY good bit coal and the next day it will be full of rocks. It all just depends but it is possible to get a good load and have it burn very good and clean for you. I have some pea coal right now that acts alot like anthracite. It has the short blue " dancing" flames on the top when burning and does not smoke hardly at all.

I have had the crappy stuff in the past with the plume of yellow/green smoke flying out of my chimney. Haven't had it in a while though.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Nov. 03, 2006 10:33 pm

ktm, the difference is that you are burning low/mid vol bituminous, which is excellent coal, however coal with more yellow flame/smoke is not necessarily inferrior, it is simply high vol coal; the most important things for coal quality are ash content, swelling index, and ash fusion temperiture.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”