Alaska Stove Blower Question?

bigbuck200

Post by bigbuck200 » Wed. Feb. 04, 2009 9:17 pm

I have an Alaska Cast Console III with a Fasco 265 CFM blower. Do any of you know a blower that will fit my stove that has a higher CFM? I checked Patriot-Supply, but they don't supply pics with all of their Fasco blowers on their site.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Feb. 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Tue. Mar. 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Although you may be able to fit a higher-CFM blower to the stove, you may end up getting nothing but luke-warm air as a result.

It takes some amount of time for the heat radiating from the body of the stove to be absorbed by the air passing over it. If the air moves too quickly, it doesn't heat up enough. The result, 60 degree air (maybe 55...maybe 65) coming out. Trying to heat a room to 70 with 60 degree air can't be done.

Try this experiment....assuming your stove is still running. Slow the convection fan down to its slowest speed. Wait 10 minutes. The air coming out will be quite toasty. Now, speed the fan up to the max and wait another 10 minutes. What will be coming out will be very close to room temperature!

I'm struggling with a problem probably similar to yours. I'd like to get more stove heat into my existing hot air furnace system, but even turning on the furnace fan (to pull it from the stove...I ducted it in) results in room temperature air coming out the vents. I may try to find a slightly larger CFM fan, but not more than 20% faster. I'm also going to build a 'shroud' around my Channing to collect the heat from the sides, too. I need to get more of the stove heat out of the basement.

I don't know the ins and outs of HVAC, but I do know the volume of air passed over the heated surface greatly affects the temperature coming out.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”