Please Help...I Broke and Freezing

shaykenhailey

Post by shaykenhailey » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I am looking for help from anyone out there. I currently live in a row home in PA. I do however have 3 exposed walls. I would like to put in a small hand feed coal stove. If possible I would like to install a direct vent stove to avoid putting up a chimney. I have been going through $250 a month in propane and can't afford to keep going at this rate. I thought about a small wood stove but am worried about finding the wood. I guess what I am asking for is advise in what to buy, all the dealers I spoke to said they have just what I need. I don't want to be taken for a ride. If anyone knows of a great place in NE PA I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Ken

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Ken,

Remember Sales people are in the business of selling things weather you need them or not. Are you looking for a hand fired unit or a stoker, do you know the difference? I have a hand fired unit, Gibraltar Model LCC. You can't buy them new anymore and only find them used. Also, what is the size of your home, square footage wise? How many floors do you have? Those factors will tell you how many BTU's you will need to heat your home. Also, do you already have a chimney or not?

Dan

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 11:01 pm

shaykenhailey, if money is tight check the Classified section here.

For Sale Coal Boilers, Furnaces, Stoves & Heating Related Items

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 11:28 pm

check around for a used stove or stoker........most I have paid for one yet is 700 dollars

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 5:59 am

If you want to direct vent out the wall, you are going to have to limit your options to only coal stoker units. Any coal, wood fired or wood and coal combination fuel hand fired units are going to need a chimney. The other guys are right, check the items for sale section here. Any coal stoker unit you find will serve you well. The stoker stoves, especially when hooked up with a Coal-trol digital thermostat http://www.automationcorrect.com, will be the ultimate automated set up for you application. After the Coal-trol is dialed in, just set the temps and it will do the rest. Then all you have to do is empty the ashes and put more coal into the hopper. This option is the best if you don't have time or want to mess with the firing of the unit. If you like to fiddle and have the time to mess with the unit all the time and don't mind putting up a chimney, by all means look at hand fired units also. If you choose a hand fired unit, put up the chimney and don't like messing with it, you can always install a stoker at a later time, using the existing chimney. Or you could get a stoker fired stove, put up the chimney, and save on the electricity the power vent it going to use. The only down side to the electrically operated stoves is when you lose power. Just like your propane furnace, it won't work either. But if you don't lose power often for long periods of time, I wouldn't even think about a hand fired unit using that reason alone. There are guys on this forum that even figured out how to battery back up operate their stoker stoves when they lose power. A stoker stove is my recommendation, with however you decide to vent the stove.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 7:04 am

Any new stoker is a quality item. They just don't make a bad one.

Around here the end apartments pay lower rent. If you rent & you pay the same as everyone else, you might bring the idea up to the landlord. They usually knock 10% off the price to make up for the extra heat loss. If the landlord doesn't like the idea, ask if next time there's an increase, he increase everyone else an extra $5 over what he planned & the end ones no increase. Food for thought!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 10:32 am

I would make sure they allow a coal type stove, and if you have a want to vent it to the outside? chimney? Power vent? etc....

shaykenhailey

Post by shaykenhailey » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks to all that have replied. I guess I should have explained that I am new to all this. My house is three floors with no chimney. My current heat source is propane wall mount heaters. I am not sure what style stove I would like but know I don't want a furnace. I would like to get something small as my house is only 1300 sq/ft. I know I am already going to have to put up a 4" brick firewall around any stove I buy. I don't know what way would be the best way to proceed. Should I buy a used coal stove and put the chimney(stack pipe) up or should I buy a new direct vent? Basically, what I am asking is if you were in my shoes what would you do?

billw

Post by billw » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 2:11 pm

It sounds like money is scarce for you also. My first consideration was buying a stove to supplement my oil heat. After learning what all was involved as far as expenses, amount of work to install, amount of work to operate, placement etc I decided on adding a second boiler. I bought a used (refurbished) boiler this past summer as opposed to buying new. Saying I'm pleased with my purchase is an understatement.

I would advise you to do a lot of research first. Then determine for yourself what exactly fits your needs, your schedule, and your budget. If you are a diy'er doing a lot of the work yourself is a great moneysaver.

Once you have decided on whether you want a hand fed stove or a stoker do some more research on the different name brands available. They all have pros and cons. I don't know a lot about stoves but there are a lot of people here that do and are willing to share their knowledge which will help you make the right choice for your situation.

Good luck

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 8:57 pm

[quote="shaykenhailey"] I know I am already going to have to put up a 4" brick firewall around any stove I buy.quote]

You’ll want to check your local codes out closely and don't forget to check with your homeowner association; before you buy anything! The codes probably won't specify "coal stove" so look for the wood burning stoves requirements. Ultimately, that's what we had to meet but asking up front is easier then going back and fixing something that doesn't meet code. You have to meet code or your insurance company many not cover the stove or damage caused by it. We initially thought we would have to have a brick firewall, too, but discovered a heat shield was acceptable. County code will tell you if it's acceptable and how big it has to be. My husband made one for about $60 using concrete boards and 2 inch threaded pipes which hold it away from the wall. That creates a space between the heat shield and the combustible wall. We are going to face it with brick façade when we get rich and famous but for now it works; its just not pretty. When finished, our heat shield will be 3 inches thick and 5ft X6ft in length and height. One of the big advantages in a heat shield is the reduced weight, it's easier to anchor, and another is the reduced cost of the materials. It only took a day. We didn't need any special tools or equipment to build the heat shield or hearth. Speaking of hearths, what do you intend to put your stove on? These too are usually under code. There are stove mats available but they are expensive. We used a simple brick platform. I’ve seen heat shield kits on the market in wood burning stove stores and I think there may be a thread or two on the forum about heat shields. Good Luck, Lisa

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jan. 30, 2009 8:23 pm

The chimney is the problem. To go through the wall and up with a stainless chimney would probably cost about $1000 just for material. A used stove like the Franco Belge I have or a Surdiac another $200 to $500. These stoves require less clearance to combustables. You would still need a hearth though.

$250 per month is not a high heating bill. If you saved half with a stove over a 5 month heating season that would be a saving of $625. It would take at least two years to pay for itself.

If you could find a good buy on a pellet stove, they are much easier and cheaper to vent and perhaps pay back would be quicker.

If your present fuel costs were higher, then more costly options would make sense. Another option of course is to close off part of the house in the heating season.

Richard

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”