Can I Wire a Booster Fan to My Convection Fan?

mtoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105

Post by mtoo » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 8:50 pm

I have added a in-line booster fan to my cold air return that runs back to my convection fan inlet on my keystoker 105 DV because it's a pretty long run, about 40 ft. It is currently wired to a plug so it either runs constantly or not at all. It seems to create a draft and makes it cooler if it runs full time. So i'm thinking that it would make sense to wire it into the convection fan so that when the convection fan runs, the duct fan runs. Can I power it directly off of the stove or do I need to add a relay or something? Has anyone done this? The stove is controlled by thermostat.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Depending on the year of your stove, the Tstat controls a relay which operates the stoker motor, your convection fan is run my a fan limit switch which assures the correct temp before operating the fan. If this is the case just make sure it can handle the current of both motors.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Yes it can be done. It all depends on the combined amp draw of the two fans connected to the power source your hooked up to. You could connect the two fans together. Personally I'd use a relay to close the contacts when your convection fan turns on and an outlet power source for your inline duct booster that is close to that fan. I used http://www.grainger.com part # 4E941. It is a 115VAC coil with a 8Amp @ 125VAC contacts. This would make the wiring easier so you don't have to use a 24volt transformer and relay. While keeping the two fans on a separate breaker.

mtoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105

Post by mtoo » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks Doug, that's just the information that I was looking for! Ill let you know how it works out.
mike

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 10:36 pm

mtoo, I did this exact thing on my 90K. It worked fine. I just removed the cover on the box and tied the wires from the duct fan right to the wires for the convection motor. Being yours is a 105 you probably have a larger motor for yours. As the others have said though, make sure it's not going to draw to much. I think the relay set up is the way to go, just to be safe.

Jeff

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”