Coaltrol TS2 V3-064, Wide Fluctuation of Temps Between 75 to 83 Degrees

eudo33

Post by eudo33 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 9:37 pm

I just installed a Reading Lehigh 3 days ago. I've got a 1200 sq ft ranch with the stove in the basement. My temp setpoint is a constant 79 degrees, but I'm getting what I think is a wide fluctuation, temps between 75 to 83 degrees. At times the temp will be above the setpoint showing a feedrate of 95% other times the temp will be 5 degrees below the setpoint, yet the feedrate is only at 45%. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 9:51 pm

It sounds like an air circulation problem in the house. Maybe try relocating the thermostat and see what happens. I have my TS2 thermostat centrally located in the hallway by the set of stairs and it keeps my Reading Tri-burners in the furnace going great, keeping the house within one degree of my setting. But I have a furnace through the house duct work not the radiant stove. It sounds like the Coal-trol is trying to figure out what to do. Just a thought.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 8:20 am

What's you min/max and how well insulated is your house? You house may cool off fast, and the system can't catch up fast enough. I have had mine at 99% FR when it's really cold and would stayed there for 2 days!! Ripped thru A LOT of coal, but maintained the temp within 1 degree of setpoint. It may overshoot by a degree or two if it's really cranking and trying to catch up.

Also, do you change your temps at all? Setback? I wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple degrees, if that. It takes too long to get it up to temp and then it gets burning hot and overshoots. I leave mine at 68-69, then set back to 67 when we are not home, kick it back up to 69 around 3pm, and nice and toasty at 4:30 when we get home.

Where is the thermostat located from the heat source vents?

Make sure you feed screw is MAX'd out for max feed rate and let the CoalTrol control it.

Maybe change your HLF (Heat Loss Factor) to 1. That will bump the ramp rate faster. I had to set mine on 1, since our house cools off quickly.

My Hyfire stays within 1 degree most of the time.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 8:26 am

In the setup menu is your triburn set to yes?

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Triburn is now located in the advanced menu.

Eudo, please do report your MIN and MAX settings. You may try decreasing your MAX setting as that tends to settle out things for most people. As suggested, increasing air circulation can help too. Make sure the thermostat is not in the direct heat plume of the stove's vent.

If you like you can call us at 315-299-3589 to get some help with this too.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 3:49 pm

pvolcko wrote:Triburn is now located in the advanced menu.
:oops: :oops:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”