Coal Storage

billw

Post by billw » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. If it isn't, sorry bout that.

I've got a bin that can hold about 12 tons. I'm not using anywhere near that per year. What I was thinking of doing is topping it off every summer instead of waiting until it's empty. It's less of a hit buying 3-4 tons a year than all 12 at once. Are there any reasons I shouldn't do this? I was thinking about fines buildup at the bottom of the pile but will it be a problem with an auger fed stoker?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 1:12 pm

billw wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this question. If it isn't, sorry bout that.

I've got a bin that can hold about 12 tons. I'm not using anywhere near that per year. What I was thinking of doing is topping it off every summer instead of waiting until it's empty. It's less of a hit buying 3-4 tons a year than all 12 at once. Are there any reasons I shouldn't do this? I was thinking about fines buildup at the bottom of the pile but will it be a problem with an auger fed stoker?
The fines will settle at the bottom of bin Your Auger is preety high in the air more then it should be so you should not have a Problem with fines also aslong as you pull the fines cleanout handel you will not have any more fines then you do now

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”