Fly Ash Cleaning Question

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 12:32 am

I checked my horizontal stove pipe coming out of the boiler tonight and it's about 1/4 full of fly ash. No problem, I figured I would just stick the hose from my shop vac through the baro and suck it out right? Well dust started pumping out the top of my shop vac so I stopped. Has anyone ever tried using a bagless hoover upright vac to suck the ash? Like a smart guy I cemented all the joints when I installed the stove pipe, not to mention single digit outdoor temps, so it's not really that simple to just shut down the boiler and take the pipe off but I can if that's the only way. Any suggestions? I'm starting to wonder about the base of my chimney as well, the pipe enters the chimney about 5' above the ground level, the base of the chimney is like 18"x18" how long before that fills up with ash?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 1:32 am

Bagless :roll:
Shopvac of some sort with drywall filter!
Check the threads for shopvac.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 7:25 am

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks! I'll invest in a drywall filter for my shop vac. Come to find out there is no filter at all in there, just a plastic cage. First time I ever checked.

LeonMSPT
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yorker WC-90

Post by LeonMSPT » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Must have looked like a snowblower... (gross). Drywall filter will be fine enough to contain that. I use one for wood and coal ash... when it's really out cold for a few days and been raked a couple times... and I've shoveled out the majority.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 9:03 pm

e.alleg wrote:Thanks! I'll invest in a drywall filter for my shop vac. Come to find out there is no filter at all in there, just a plastic cage.
Did you check the box? You're supposed to take the filter off when using the "Wet" part because the filter will turn into a brick if you don't. ;)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jan. 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Make sure you wipe/vacuum up the fly ash off of your tools, steel surfaces, and all your motorcycles etc.. regular humid air mixed with the flyash will rust exposed steel.

Greg L

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”