Fireplace Flue Too Large???

PC 12-47E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola, Jotul 507

Post by PC 12-47E » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 10:50 am

We have a large fireplace, (with an inside chimney), 47" wide X 42" tall. The depth at the base of the fireplace is 20", the depth at the top of the back wall is 13.5".
The damper openining is 33"X6".
The distance At the top of the fire brick back wall to the cast iron damper is 4".
This chimney has a 16"x16" tile lined flue. Burning wood the draft is strong and does not let smoke into the room.
We would like to add a coal stove with a 6" stove pipe to the fireplace flue.
The questions I have are... (1) Is the 16"x16" flue too large for a coal stove?
(2) How do we vent the 6" stove pipe through 4" wide area at the top of back wall to the damper? Also cutting fire brick out of this area is not an option.

RS

Attachments

MVC-001F.JPG
.JPG | 214KB | MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG
.JPG | 211.9KB | MVC-002F.JPG
MVC-003F.JPG
.JPG | 213.1KB | MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
.JPG | 214.6KB | MVC-004F.JPG

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 10:55 am

you may have to OVAL shape your pipe to get it to fit and make some type of block off plate to seal the chimney flue. And put a baro damper in to limit the draft on the stove, you will probably have good draft.

PC 12-47E

Post by PC 12-47E » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:00 pm

WNY wrote:you may have to OVAL shape your pipe to get it to fit and make some type of block off plate to seal the chimney flue. And put a baro damper in to limit the draft on the stove, you will probably have good draft.

Thanks for the info Dave. The baro Damper is a must on this flue. Without the baro we might end up with a puddle of molten metal on the hearth. :cry:
Now we will have to pick out a hand fired stove for the 1400sq/ft addition. The new stove will not be a Harmon... Our SF250 is made very well but the ash pan and ash door design make the stove a VERY DUSTY mess.
Stay warm with coal, RS

Paisan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut&pea

Post by Paisan » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:16 pm

Nice looking fire box. How old is it and dose it work good? How far above the angle iron is the bottem of the damper?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:38 pm

A free standing Hitzer with a blower will do you right and allow you to have a baro damper.
If you go the insert route run the 6" liner to the top!

PC 12-47E

Post by PC 12-47E » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:40 pm

paisaon wrote:Nice looking fire box. How old is it and dose it work good? How far above the angle iron is the bottem of the damper?
Hi Paisaon, The Fireplace is about five years old. The design is a take off of the basic Rumford fireplace.

http://www.rumford.com/articleWhat.html

The fireplace works very well. In the spring and fall it gets a lot of use. The amount of heat it puts out is amazing.

The base of the damper frame starts at 6.5" above angle iron.

RS

Paisan

Post by Paisan » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:54 pm

I do alot of rumford fire boxes. Yours looked a little tall for a standered box. We just did five rf boxes for a homeowner down in Ashville NC. . Did they use any fresh air vents for the fire box?

PC 12-47E

Post by PC 12-47E » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:57 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:A free standing Hitzer with a blower will do you right and allow you to have a baro damper.
If you go the insert route run the 6" liner to the top!
Hi CapeCoaler, A free standing Hitzer is on my list to look at. Also a Baker Stoves Challenger.
The ash pan will have to be larger than the grate unlike my Harman...

I hope you stay warm on Cape Cod. I lived in Marion, Mass. for several years.
RS

PC 12-47E

Post by PC 12-47E » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 1:12 pm

paisaon wrote:I do alot of rumford fire boxes. Yours looked a little tall for a standered box. We just did five rf boxes for a homeowner down in Ashville NC. . Did they use any fresh air vents for the fire box?
Paisaon, The firebox is on the tall end of the formula but works very well. The Mason wanted to end at one brick lower. We then went over the numbers on height etc.. and ended up at 42".
They did not use fresh air vents. The main house is 200++ years old and very drafty. The vents would be a good idea for totaly new construction.
RS

Paisan

Post by Paisan » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 1:13 pm

If you can find a dealer in your area try looking at a D.S. Machine. There ash pans are big and they put them on two runners. The runners are about 2 inches tall and the pan slides out easy. Also if any thing get under the pan it just falls between the runners and you can clean it out later.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 1:39 pm

The Hopper feed is nice on the 'rents 503 insert. They just feed, shake and dump! Set it up for them, lit it and gave them the basic instructions.
They love the hopper because they never burned coal before and were a bit worried about feeding it.
I told them to shake every 12 hours, keep the hopper filled, empty ashes after the shake and call before they do anything different!
Lit once and been burning for 10 weeks straight.
If I buy new it will be a Hitzer due to the factory support and the quality product.
Love the Harman and I have a great dealer close by but Hitzer wins due to the hopper and direct support!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”