Newbie Quick Install Advice Needed

Citizen0001
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Citizen0001 » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 9:28 am

Ok, guys looking for advice. I've finally got my Alaska Channing II backvent and I am looking to do an install in the basement into an existing 25' masonry chimney with a 9x13 clay flue past the smoke chamber.I've priced out an install with several companies and the range has been from $1,300 - $1,800 including installing a ss liner. I would like to get the stove installed but hold off on the liner right now and will do it myself in the springtime when it is a bit warmer out. From what I gather from the info on this site is that I have two options to do a temporary install myself:

1) Install Black Stove pipe in through the chimney and up past the smoke box. This will require removing the chimney damper door above the firebox and installing a sealing kit. I check with a few stores and they want $300 for the kit. (Won't I need the kit anyway for when I put the liner in later on?)

or

2) Have the masonry above the fireplace cored for a 6" hole and insert black stove pipe. Quotes so far have been around $300 to get it cored.

So the questions for you are: Are the viable options for installing my stove? And if so, then which would be the best option to do? Is there another way I could go about installing it? I am in MA and need to have it inspected - will the inspector accept the types of installs? Or should I just suck it up and get the liner installed. Any any other advice/opinions that you would like to share?

I am open to all suggestions and looking for the best way to install it until I can get the liner installed.

ray in ma

Post by ray in ma » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Citizen from Central MA

Since the building inspector has to sign off to give the occupancy ermit once he/she's satisfied with the installation, I would suggest you ask thier advice.
Most of these folks have some sort of building trades background and might come up with a 3rd option.

It sounds like you are installing into an existing fireplace chimney so her is a couple of questions back for you

1) if the clay flue liner is still in good shape why do you think you need the ss liner?

2) If the fire place damper is going to be removed I think you can just get the stove conversion kit to seal up the bigger opening and then run the black stove pipe through the new seal plate, I think as long as you are 8" above this you should be all set.

I have the MGL bookmarked at home and I'll forward you the link tonight. I tried to download the NFPA standards but they are not as generous.

Ray

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 2:26 pm

If you core you should go larger 10 " and install a clay thimble.
The stove will set further out if you go the core route.
Damper Sealing Kit online is about $75. But includes no SS flex pipe.
You need to 'ovalize' the round SS flex pipe, get a 5 to 8 foot scap from a stove shop, $80-100.
Ovalize by inserting a 4" diameter 10' plastic drain pipe inside and slowly, gently step on it, doing it in stages to form the oval!
Leave a section round so you can attach your black pipe and baro.
I agree with waiting for late spring and dry roof to instal the liner!

ray in ma

Post by ray in ma » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 6:18 am

ray in ma wrote: I have the MGL bookmarked at home and I'll forward you the link tonight. I tried to download the NFPA standards but they are not as generous.

Ray
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=H ... csid=Eeops

Scroll down there is a section for chimneys and fireplaces

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”