Bypassing Oil and Run Fan

scotty

Post by scotty » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 6:16 am

I have my stove ducted directly into my hot air duct and would like to bypass the oil control on my highboy oil furnace and cycle the fan on the furnace.Can I have it so the low voltage control from the oil furnace calls for heat but only the fan run's???And then shuts off
This would move alot of heat but also pull some much needed cold air down also
scotty

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 6:33 am

It could be done but you would have to either alter or unhook and disable your oil burner so it was disconnected and not able to come on and wire fan into the burner side if the relay so it would start .
Best and easiest and most likely SAFEST would be see if your fan/limit has a summer or "fan only" option. If not get one and replace your current limit switch without altering the burner control or safety features . YOU SHOULD NOT ALTER OIL SAFETY CONTROL

jimbo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire Chief 700
Coal Size/Type: Stove or nut

Post by jimbo » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 7:21 am

I added a second fan limit in my coal furnace I added a 120 volt wire that runs from oil furnace to coal furnace and hooked up a fan limit so I can control fan on oil burner with it. I have it hooked up so if the coal furnace is over fired the fan in the oil funace will shut down and allow the coal furnace to catch up.
My furnace hook up is different than yours I am sure. I have mine hooked up so the coal furnace heat outlet is hooked into the hot air plenum of oil furnace and has a backdraft damper in heat outlet pipe from coal furnace. It took a while to get the new fan limit adjusted but I now have it so when the fan on coal furnace comes on the within 10-15 seconds the oil furnace fan turns on and boost the heat out the ducts.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”