Coal Shovel??

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 5:30 pm

I am going to pick up my 1st load of rice coal on Saturday. I want to handle this first load into my new chute and see how everything goes.
I went looking for shovels today and all I see are "grain" shovels. Either plastic or aluminum. Since it only occasional use would a "grain" shovel hold up?
Advice?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Grain shovels are very expensive :shock: I looked for one and it was $42.00. Maybe next time :) Scott

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Home depot has aluminum coal shovels.
I don't remember how much it was .

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Kungur wrote:I am going to pick up my 1st load of rice coal on Saturday. I want to handle this first load into my new chute and see how everything goes.
I went looking for shovels today and all I see are "grain" shovels. Either plastic or aluminum. Since it only occasional use would a "grain" shovel hold up?
Advice?
Aslong it is temperd Aluminum yes that is what the smart coal guys use lighter then steel coal delivery Guys and coal breaker's use them you will have many different sizes from #2 #4 #6 #8 #10 #12 #14 #16 The higher the # the bigger the shovel I like #6 & # 8 They will fit between the coal chute's The coal delivery Guy use the bigger ones like #12 #14 & #16
they can move alot more coal at a time . Time is money for those Guys. Try these links

http://www.millandmine.com/data/agri2.htm

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/83-528-s ... ovels.aspx

http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/C ... _-1_106093
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.thefind.com/garden/browse-kodiak-coal-shovel

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Last edited by coal berner on Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Good shovels are out there if you look in the right places. Like concrete, aggregate, supply yards and usually special order through http://www.doitbest.com hardware stores. Coal shovels are still made and good quality Made in U.S.A. too.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 6:24 pm

I use a standard garden hoe to pull the coal around in my bin (now that it's getting lower) and a big feed scoop to fill my left over buckets (from kitty litter) they hold about 40#'s ea.

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 9:35 pm

DOUG wrote: Coal shovels are still made and good quality Made in U.S.A. too.
Just make sure you read the fine print.
I bought a coal shovel that had USA stickers all over it but when I looked a little closer it was made in China and tempered in usa.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:35 pm

The aluminum ones will hold up quite nicely. Most of the ones I see now are not tempered and have a smaller gauge made but for the consumer but they are more than adequate. Last I checked they had them at ACE hardware for about $20 but that was afew years back. IF you can find the tempered ones they are going to cost a lot more especially a heavy gauge but you'll be able to give a shovel like that to your grandkids.

When I first started in the business back around 1990 my uncle bought 2 shovels that were $60 each back then. The handles were probably replaced about every 2 years but the shovel lasted a good 15 years being used 3 or 4 days a week. I still have one around somewhere but it's significantly shorter than when it was purchased. One thing that is important is the corners will curl eventually. Make sure to keep them straight.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 11:03 pm

Hey, guys. Here is a picture of the main tools I use. I use three different coal shovels.
DSCF1551.JPG
.JPG | 476.8KB | DSCF1551.JPG
The poker on the left is homemade and the hoe on the right is all metal. The smaller shovels were handed down to me from my grandfather over 23 years ago after he passed. He used them to fire his coal furnace in his old house during the 50's and 60's. He built a new house in the 70's and went to natural gas. I bet he'd never believe it if you told him in the next century his grandson would be using those same tools to fire his coal furnaces to heat his house. : :shock: :lol: Times sure have changed or did they?. :) DOUG

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”