How Many Vents

Peasefamily

Post by Peasefamily » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 9:38 am

Just got my koker in today and they'll be installing it tomorrow...it was ordered with 3 holes in the top for ducting to the first floor (it's located in the basement). When I ordered it, the installer said it would need 3 ducts to the first floor, but the guy who just dropped it off said that he wouldn't install more than 2 ducts/vents. Why is this? What's the better option? the house is a 2800 sq ft victorian...old old old and nearly no insulation (i know I know...one thing at a time).

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 9:42 am

It all depends on HOW big they are. 6", 8", 10"? etc. It all depends on how you are hooking it up, are you hooking to existing ducts? or new runs only from the Koker, etc...maybe no room for any more?

Usually you just put a square plenum on the top and make your taps from that, but I wouldn't think 3 would hurt, if they fit, I know others on here have 4 or maybe more.

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 9:50 am

What size is the kokers blower? If it is a little on the small cfm size you may get better performance out of just 2 ducts. But if it has ample cfm I would think 3 ducts would work better than 2.

Peasefamily

Post by Peasefamily » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:08 am

They are 6" and it's not going into existing ducting (we have hot water baseboards and this is to supplement heating). The koker's blower is 1529 CFM's

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:26 am

Peasefamily wrote:They are 6" and it's not going into existing ducting (we have hot water baseboards and this is to supplement heating). The koker's blower is 1529 CFM's
Heck with that cfm you should be able to handle at least three 6" ducts.
You would also benefit greatly from some cold air return ducts from the living area. (in order to get hot air into a room you must remove some cold air)

Peasefamily

Post by Peasefamily » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks Gambler! I'm not sure why they would indicate only putting two vents in. I'll give them a call. I thought perhaps with three vents less forced air would come out, but from what you've indicated, that shouldn't be a problem. is there a science to where the vents should be located? in the center of the home? perimeter of the home?

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:41 am

I would think centrally located, depending on the layout of your house, with cold air returns (if possible) farther away to pull the warm air thru the rooms.

Any reason why you didn't put a Coal Boiler in to hook parallel to you existing system?

Peasefamily

Post by Peasefamily » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:45 am

That's been a heated discussion w/my husband and me! We're trying this coal thing out first...and figured we could haul the koker with us when we need to move. a boiler add-on might be in our future depending on if we stay put long enough.

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:48 am

Sounds good! I wish I would have ordered a Koker, but at the time, we didn't need anything that big in our old house (Keystoker 90K), now We have a Hyfire I in the basement and the Keystoker in the attached garage piped upstairs to the second floor.

We have a big old victorian too, but well insulated and I changed out the Windows too, made a big difference. The Hyfire seems to do well keeping it comfortable.

There a thread for Old Houses, check out some of our Old houses.
Old Houses

Good luck and keep us posted, pics are always a good thing!

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 10:54 am

Peasefamily wrote:I'm not sure why they would indicate only putting two vents in.
With only two 6" vents you would really be choking that 1500cfm blower down.

Peasefamily

Post by Peasefamily » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 11:11 am

lol, so I guess, "choked" is not good, right?

i also posted some pics on the "old house" thread

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Jan. 14, 2009 11:25 am

Another member is having theirs put in too.
I just post a pic in another thread of another owners Koker...

Keystoker Koker 160 Help Please!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”