Harman Magnum Stoker Into a Forced Hot Air Furnace

abotts

Post by abotts » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 1:24 pm

What I want to do is run my ducted hot air from the top of the stove into the return duct of my heat pump and hook my blower fan on the heat pump to the coal stove so it comes on the same time the coal stove blower does. Has anyone accomplished this in the past that can give me some guidance?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 2:09 pm

It "might" work, but your furnace blower will probably be too high of air flow and just blow cool air and not give the stove a chance to even heat up. Plus you are only washing the back and top of the stove, if you made a heat jacket to extract more heat from the stove, it might work better.

These are stoves, not furnaces, So the heat output will be much less thru the duct, since you would loss a lot of radiant heat from the sides/front of the stove.

Plus how big of house are you trying to heat?

abotts

Post by abotts » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 3:04 pm

The Harman magnum stoker does not put off that much radiant heat. It only puts out around 150 to 250 degree radiant heat. Most of the heat comes out of the blower holes in the front or the duct out of the top of the stove. The main floor that I am trying to evenly heat is about 1700 square feet. I just want to try it. If it doesn’t work well I will go back to the old way which is two bathroom ceiling fans above the stove. One is ducted to the dinning room and the other is ducted to the hallway by the bedrooms

WNY

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 3:23 pm

It';s worth a shot. We are pretty clever on here with what we do with our stoves, look in the Stove Pics thread to see what some have done and how to hook up to duct work...

abotts

Post by abotts » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 3:35 pm

I read the directions for installing a hot air jacket and it should be simple but I just wanted to hear from someone that tried this.

WNY

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 4:06 pm

haven't done it with a Harmon, but had one made for my Hyfire...and it works good.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”