Direct Vent

arcbocey

Post by arcbocey » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi all. I would like to relocate my keystoker direct vent upstairs but I am unshure as to the only location I have. I want to run the exhaust pipe through my wall, but it would have to go into the added bedroom and then through the outside wall but I don't know if it is acceptable .

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:23 pm

you might have to get special pipe for heat clearances and it has to be sealed good. Can you get thru an outside wall anywhere, that would be best.....

arcbocey

Post by arcbocey » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Thats the problem. There is only one place I can put the stove. I have a 42 year old doublewide built on a full basement blockwall foundation. As you go though the back door there are four steps down to the back room (kinda like a split level) addition that was done before I bought the house and is my daughters bedroom. All I can do is run the exhaust through the house rear wall (which is now an interior wall because of the addition) turn it to the right and go twelve inches through the outside wall to be vented. I have a petition wall to the right side of the would be stove location inside,but because of the addition I think I would have a problem with thimble placement because of that exterior wall so I don't think I can do a corner install.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 7:53 pm

I`d do a lot of checking there, I don`t believe they were making those double wides too fire safe back then but I could be wrong. Better safe than sorry.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 11:58 pm

I think it would be easier to put in a prefab chimney and go up through the roof. And it probably won't cost much more than all of that piping an thimbles to go through 2 or 3 walls. And I think it will be much safer and easier to clean.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 2:28 am

DING! We have a winner! Gambler hit the bell with one swing. Go up my friend, go up!

arcbocey

Post by arcbocey » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 10:19 am

Thank's for the replys. I'd like some more of you're collective knowledge. I bought this stove used in july,not wanting to wait for a new one,out of a showroom from a dealer that sells Harmon. Anyway I've been using it in the basement on blocks on a concrete floor. What should I use under it so any heat radiating from under it wouldnt be a concern. I bought a Imperial stove board (36x52). I don't know if that would be enough or if I should put it on blocks again with the board under it. My neighbor has stone tile to give me if I want to cut the carpet out or to put on top of a raised platform.
There is somthing else I'd like some input on. I think if I disconnected the blower on the stove and ran a wire from the stove sensor to kick on the blower on the furnace instead,it would draw the warm air from that room and disperce it throughout the house. The furnace is a mobile home type and the cold air return is in furnace door. Its only 15 feet from the furnace.
I't seems like it would work.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 7:47 pm

As long as it's non combustible, should be fine. You can get patio blocks (16" square) from you local hardware store too to put under to protect your floor/carpet. A variety of things can work.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 9:08 pm

I can tell you that if you put that stove board on top of the carpet and then put the stove on the stove board your stove board will look like a banana. All of the edges will bow up.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”