Expansion Tank

Trimmer

Post by Trimmer » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Well I am working on plumbing my VF3000 in and have a question. [ many more to come i'm sure] I am putting in a spirovent, if I put the expansion tank directly on the spirovent it hangs down and is in the way. The question is can I come out of the bottom of the spirovent with a 90* elbow and mount the tank horizontally instead of vertically ? This should get it out of the way enough to be able to walk around the boiler without hitting my head on it all the time!
Thanks for the input
Trimmer

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 5:50 pm

If you are useing a extrol tank it should be not be mounted sideways, the tank is very thin the weight of the tank,water and when the tank goes bad more water will put alot of stress on the pipeing and tank fitting witch may cause it to break off. You could use a 90 a short nip a valve another nip and offset it out of the way. Take the handle off the valve after you open it, When tank needs to be changed close the valve and you don't have to drain down the boiler. Be sure there is a hanger on the offset for the tank. Hope this helps.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Mechanically it'll work sideways so I was going to say yes, but Trimmer makes a very good point. I think if you support the tank....strapping to support it to the ceiling... you'd be OK.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”