Fan Limit Switch & Location

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Jan. 05, 2009 7:05 pm

On my Alaska 140 the fan limit switch is located at the back of the furnace. When I attempted to set it to Auto the furnace blower ran for 30-45 seconds then shut off. I will try adjusting the range between the "On & Off".
I spoke to Alaska Stoves today, boy are they great reps, the tech suggested moving the Fan Limit Switch to the Plenum andgave me a suggested location. It seems that in the past I have always seen the Limit Switch on the Plenum so this sounds like a logically idea.
Comments?? Experiences??
Thanks,
Tom
This weeks project is to get to work building a coal bin!

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Mon. Jan. 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Tom,

That is where I installed my fan limit switch on my Hyfire II ductwork. I have it standing alone in the far end of the shop. It is attached to its own ductwork extending through the shop heading toward the seldom used oil burner. There was not enough room to place it along side the oil burner and tie it directly into the oil burner plenum. And I already had some ductwork laying around from the old Alaska Stoker II. I never got around to taking pictures of the final install. Darn it, now you are going to make me do that tomorrow morning !!!!

I'll post them then. It is working great for me. I am also using the Coaltrol. When I get in the shop in the morning, everything is nice and warm. By the end of the day at 5:30, the setback from the 4:30 time slot is finally getting to the plenum and it then cycles. Otherwise it runs almost constantly during the day.

How big of a bin are you constructing ????

Rick

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 6:29 am

Why style switch is it? Probe or snap disc switch

I had the same problem with my heat jacket, the fan would kick on, 1 minute later, turn off, since the air flow cools the switch down too much. If you can block the air flow around it, or somehow mount it on the outside of the plenum or move to a different location, that is what I did. I put the snap switch close to the stove on the outside of the plenum, it works good for my application.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 7:00 am

Repl to Rick 386

The coal bin I think will be !+ ton capacity. I am backing off the big one in favor of smaller ones. I think I will buy a used pallet lift, about $149,at a local used tool surplus deal. Guy around the corner from uses this setup and it works well..

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 7:02 am

Reply to WNY
Why style switch is it? Probe or snap disc switch?

It is a Honeywell Probe style. I am going to do this move while it is Hot(electrically) as I do not want to have to shut down and restart the fire.
Tom

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 7:17 am

That shouldn't affect the stove, you should be able to move it wihtout shutting the stove off. If it continues, you may have to put a small sheet metal sheild around it to slow the air flow down so it doesn't cool off fast.
Is it adjustable?

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 9:12 am

Yes, it look to be adjustable. It has 3 levers on the dial inside the housing. If there is a model # it is on the back side or buried under the wires.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 9:40 am

Here is where I placed my fan limit switch.

It is a honeywell probe type purchased at the local HVAC store.

This is the heat jacket purchased directly from LL. I ordered the larger fan. The instructions state that the fan is to be located no less than 36" away from the top of the stove. Therefore I installed the fan switch in that 36" section close to the stove to be able to draw whatever heat was coming from it.

I still have the 2 convection fans attached as I do need the heat immediately near the stove.

Rick

Attachments

Hyfire II Fan control 1.jpg

Lower is fan control - upper is 14" fan connection

.JPG | 126.6KB | Hyfire II Fan control 1.jpg
Hyfire II Fan control 3.jpg

connection to ductwork

.JPG | 111.6KB | Hyfire II Fan control 3.jpg

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Tom,
You're really moving along on this install! Congratulations.
As far as the fan limit switch question goes I thought I'd throw in with my 2 pennies.
I'd be real hesitant to relocate the switch. It's there by design (and I assume a lot of testing) and is adjustable for a reason. Can't the temp range be adjusted for satisfactory blower motor run time?
On my Koker, the limit switch is on the side near the top rear. The temperature limits are off at 110 and on at 160.
I'd change the settings on the switch or slow down the blower motor before messing with moving the limit switch.

Note: these are the comments of a "newbie" coal burner and should not be held against him. :)
-Len

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”