Power Failure Backup for Circulating Pump?

Thomas J Rasmussen

Post by Thomas J Rasmussen » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 9:23 am

I have been trying to figure out how to keep my coal boiler circulating pump running, during a power failure, when I'm not home for the lowest cost possible and keeping things simple for me. I have seen some older posts on this subject, but am looking for recent ideas.
Can I buy an INVERTER that I would plug a Taco 007-F3 circulating pump (amps .75 volts 115 watts 86.25 ) into?
The INVERTER would be plugged into a wall outlet, and the inverter would be hooked up to a Deep Cycle Battery.
When we lose power the inverter switches power "automatically" from the wall outlet to the battery and runs the Taco Pump until I return home and could put on the generator. I'm looking for a maximum of 10 hours run time on this system.
Presently I do not have a UPS system or anything else as a back up other then the generator..
We have three zones with three Taco 007-F3 circulating pumps on the oil boiler and one Taco 007-F3 pump right on the back of the coal boiler that I do not use. This pump is what I'd like to power up during an outage.
Am I on the right track? How can you help me?
Thank you for the help~~TomR

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 10:54 am

Do Search on Inverter or UPS, other threads discussing this...

Heres one just recently.
Passive Boiler?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 11:00 am

I prefer a generator as it is a whole house solution. There are several ways to go about it and I'm sure you will get some responses.

You have posted this in the help section, I think you will get more responses in the main forum section. Now I just have to figure out how to do that. :oops:

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 11:06 am

I can move it to the Controls Section.

PelletstoCoal

Post by PelletstoCoal » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 5:12 pm

you are on the right path, at .75amps, 86watts a 10 hour run time is possible, but most likely will require a marine battery set-up. UPS for computers are great and will work but the run times are tusually oo small. I was at Best Buy over the weekend and they have a APC 1500VA (1.5KVA) UPS for 179.00 or so, it will run 100w draw for approx. 1:14, now the trick would be, since these things have a replaceable battery, depending on the charging system, replace or add additional batteries (12v AGM marine) to reach required capacity. These units would make a great base unit, they contain all auto switching, auto charging , surge protection and provide clean inverted power designed to be used in electronics. Electronics are much more sensative to spikes, dirty power than a taco 007. Just depends how much you are willing to spend vs. run time.

Frank

Highlander
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000 Sold
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Highlander » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I use a Tripplite APS500, with a size 29 marine battery. I power the stoker, blower and circulation pump off of this UPS. With the big battery I get about 8 hours or so before the low battery light comes on.

Attachments

Tripplite APS512.jpg
.JPG | 283.2KB | Tripplite APS512.jpg

Robby

Post by Robby » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 8:39 pm

The RV industry use a unit from Xantrex. They come in various sizes from (I think) 1000 watt to 2500 watt. I just purchased one, 2500 watt with 6 deep cycle batteries for $500. They work completely automatic, charge the batteries and switch both ways when power off or on. Pretty heavy duty. They seem to come available often, maybe accidents. The local repair depot checked mine out for free, it passed. If you do decide to go this route try to get the remote controller, then you can set power sharing, size of incoming breaker etc. Depending on load, a couple of days backup is not impossible.

Robby

Thomas J Rasmussen

Post by Thomas J Rasmussen » Wed. Dec. 17, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks Robby for the info.
You said "They seem to come available often, maybe accidents" The Xantrex system seems to be the one that might work for me. Where do they come available? $500 is a good price based on their web site for new equipment.
TomR

Robby

Post by Robby » Wed. Dec. 17, 2008 8:13 pm

I live high in the hills Southwest of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. There has been a few, maybe 4 or 5 advertized in on-line papers in the last 3 or 4 months. Thats were I got the idea. I have completed hooking it up, motors, controls seem to love it. BUT the transformers hum REEAAL loud when on inverter power. I'm not sure if any harm in that or not.

When I took to repair depot, it was a bit of a junk yard, they had a few of different sizes laying around. If you are not to far away I could ask how much $. Batteries would be way to expensive to ship. The unit weighs maybe 50 lb. Big transformer.

Robby

Thomas J Rasmussen

Post by Thomas J Rasmussen » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 11:02 am

Robby, I think I'll continue to search closer to home (Simsbury, Connecticut) for equipment. I'm just trying to get the simplest, least expensive, method to back up my boiler for ten hours or less until I get home and start my generator. I'm retired and most times home, but if I am away during the day in the winter, I want to feel secure that my boiler is happy if it losses power till I return home. Apparently there are a few different ways to achieve this, but trying to understand which one is best is the goal. Has anyone ever done a report (Like Consumer Reports) evaluating all options? Or put a KIT together just for running a circulating pump on a boiler? It appears there are a lot of us in the same situation and there should be one kit (or choice of a few) we could buy ready to go???? without piecing together different components. I like the term "Keep it Simple Stupid"
Thanks for your help~~TomR

buddyboy54

Post by buddyboy54 » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 11:26 pm

I us a ups that was desined to be a back-up for a compuer,mine is rated @150 watts,i removed the small sealed battert,extended the battery leads and connected them to a deep cycle marine battery.I now power the control circuit and the pump with the inverter full time,if power fails ups automatically switches to the inverter and gets its power from the battery. I have already have gone 8 hours with this set-up wilh no noticable problems but I feel that I must warm you I have apretty severe voltage drop while on battery,ac out drops to about 105vac.the circulator tolerates it but I don't know if I would want to run llike this too often.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 12:42 am

I use a Tripplite APS500, with a size 29 marine battery. I power the stoker, blower and circulation pump off of this UPS. With the big battery I get about 8 hours or so before the low battery light comes on.
Second the Tripplite unit just add more batteries if you need more run time!

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/index.cfm?txtEntryID=4

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”