Rheostat Not Functioning

jjmason

Post by jjmason » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 10:10 am

Hello all. New guy to the forum here. I have an older Alaska stove with a triburner stoker which I bought this past summer. From all the knowledge I gained by lurking around this site, I did the full-time combustion blower mod to correct the triburner's major weakness. I have the stove in the basement and I cut a 6" duct into the top of the stove. I now have the convection blower plugged in direct, running full speed to help move the heat upstairs. So it is no longer controlled by the rheostat. The rheostat only controls the stoker motor and the small cooling fan alongside the motor. When I did the comb. blower mod, I removed the squirrelcage from the bottom shaft of the motor before installing the Dayton blower.
Ok, here's my problem. When I first lit the stove, I noticed the motor seemed to run full speed regardless of the rheostat setting, however the small cooling fan would slow or speed up with the adjustment. I know it had worked when I first purchased the stove, because I tested it before I even put the stove in the basement. Ok, I automatically assumed it was a rheostat isssue so I bought a new one from Alaska and replaced the old one. Same problem...now I'm perplexed. The rheo is working, because it slows the small fan. It just has no effect on the speed of the stoker motor. Everything is wired and plugged in properly. My only thought is this is somehow tied to the removal of the squirrel cage from the bottom of the motor shaft and not running the conv. blower off of the rheo??? Is it a load issue, since the only load on the motor is on the reduction side? Possibly, I need a smaller resistance rheo?
This is not a show-stopper problem for me cause I can still control the fire by adjusting the carpet stroke. However it would be nice to have the extra adjustability of a functioning rheostat. (Plus the 22 bucks for the new rheostat for apparently no reason! haha!) I know many of you have done the same blower mod to the triburner and I was wondering if you've experienced a similiar issue. Thanks for any comments you might have. I learned alot from the wealth of knowledge you guys input in this forum!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 10:20 am

Some rheostats have fine adjustments on the case, (might have to take it apart) look to see if there are any small holes/screws, that can be adjusted, that happened on my Hyfire. It was not tuned correctly, so from HI to LOW wasn't very much difference. Once Jerry from LL told me where to look, I found the adjustments, I can slow it almost to nothing and full speed.

Just a thought.

jjmason

Post by jjmason » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 10:43 am

I removed the cover and checked it out and there doesn't appear to be any adjustments. Also I have this same problem with both old and the brand new rheostats. It did work fine when I tested it this summer when I bought the stove. Both the motor and the fan would adjust from high down to barely a crawl. Now only the fan slows. It seems this happened after I made the blower mod and ran the conv. blower separate of the rheostat.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 11:31 am

Not sure, Unless the motors are not the shaded pole that can be variable speeds? Or did you have them working previously.

You just have the rheostat wired in series with your device, probalby just on the hot (black) wire side.?

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 11:35 am

You have it miswired somewhere. There is no way for the rheostat that is hooked to two motors correctly to only be able to control one motor.
The motor that is running at full speed is recieving full power. It is not power coming from the rheostat.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes, the rheostat is normally hooked INLINE with the LOAD (fans, motor, etc..).

I am confused on the little blower motor you are talking about?

You separated Combustion & Stoker Motors, and wired the combustion blower direct to 110v?

The Stoker motor should have the Rheostat wired "in series" with it.

The Combustion blower can be wired direct to 110 or via a rheostat to control heat, you could also run a thermostat controlled plug or heat/snap switch to control it too.

You should have:
1 Stoker/Feed Motor
1 Combustion Blower
1 Convection Blower

jjmason

Post by jjmason » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 2:02 pm

The combustion blower is hard wired and the convection blower is plugged into a wall receptecle. There is a small fan similiar to computer cooling fan blowing onto the stoker motor, for cooling the motor I suppose. It seems sorta useless to me....anyway, They are both powered by the rheostat. The rheostat powers a junction box and they are both powered from that Jbox. The rheostat in the off position turns off both. There is no other source of power to either of those. The rheostat is wired in a series.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”