Battery Back-Up Suggestions

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 5:11 pm

Hello Jerry,
I was wondering if you could tell me a good battery back-up system for my friends Leisure Line Econo. It's a great coal burner and keeps him warm. he wants to make sure if the power goes out he has something to keep it running. The next step will be a coal-trol so I suppose it would be a good idea to keep that in mind also. His system also uses the SWG Power-vent. Again a great coal unit!

Thank You.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Do A search on UPS or Battery Backups or Inverter. I guess it depends on HOW long you need to run it, some use the Tripplite with a couple good deep cycle batteries, a UPS, etc....

You would need to know the power requirements of your stove and Power vent and for how long you need to run. Some will run for 1 hour others for 5-8+ hours, depending on your batteries and how much you want to spend.

Other discussions...
Inverter for Homemade Battery Backup

Back up Power

StanT

Post by StanT » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 5:32 am

I looked into it also, My personal thought is a small generator is the better way to go. Cheap power inverters will ruin small motors, I am not a electrican but from what I read you need a good one, Big battery, Charger, Price wise Its close to a generator. Also with a generator you could run some lights, tv etc.

Happy Holidays, Stan

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 7:53 am

Yes, cheaper UPS or Inverters do not have a good clean SINE wave output (AC Signal), it can make your motors hum and possibly burn them out.
Mine does that, mine is a Modified SINE wave output, but it doesn't run long. Most of the UPS are designed for Computers, and they don't care about the output, since it converts them down to 5 and 12V DC anyway.

If you invest in a good one, it should have a FULL Sine Wave Output, but they can start around $250-UP, long term power outages, you are better off with a small (2500W or higher) generator. Like he said, you can run other stuff too!

ckf

Post by ckf » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 8:51 am

I picked up a used APC SMART UPS 1000 without batteries on e-bay for $60. Instead of using the standard batteries I added two 88 amp hour gel cell batteries. I have only tested it for about an hour and everything seemed to work fine.
UPS 005a.jpg
.JPG | 109KB | UPS 005a.jpg

spc

Post by spc » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 9:41 am

Most of us have a "generator" parked in our driveway. When in use make sure to pull it out of your garage.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/dashboarding/Power ... erters.htm

I use an APC SMART 1500 UPS for short term power outages which I also bought on eBay.

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 10:17 am

FYI
People, just make sure if you use a UPS and external batteries, you check the Charging voltage, NOT all of them charge at 12 VDC, some are 24VDC and you have to hook the batteries in SERIES and use the deep cycle (marine or golf cart) type batteries, they last longer. Car Batteries have good inrush current (made for starting), but they drop off/decrease much faster when discharging.

acesover

Post by acesover » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 12:51 pm

C & D Technologies Blue Bell Pa.
Ray

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Before you spend any money on a battery backup read my previous posts on the UPS systems.

Flue Temperature Sensor Interlock Device

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”