Used or New Baro?

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 7:40 pm

I have been given a used barometric damper and am trying to decide whether it is worth installing it or whether I should simply go out and get a new one? This is an install of a new stove (my first experience with coal) with a short run of stove-pipe (2 elbows at each end plus 30" of pipe at 45 degree angle in middle) connecting with interior masonry chimney. Chimney is relatively short (couple feet taller than single story roof peak). Oh, stove is a gravity fed hopper cast iron stove (Saey 92). Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Attachments

image0.jpg
.JPG | 30.8KB | image0.jpg

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 7:42 pm

As long as nothing is bent or rusted. It will be fine.

I bought a used one for my set up.

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 8:24 pm

I would try the one you have. As long as it's in good shape and you give it a good cleaning first. Your most likely not gonna see it move with a short chimney, maybe when it gets colder out it will flap open.

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 9:01 pm

In my Leisure Line manual it is recommended to replace the baro every 5 years.
Depending on how old the one you have is, it may be worth buying a new one.
I don't know for sure but can only assume (theres that word) that the metal around the pins get a groove worn into them making it harder for the flap to open.

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Wed. Dec. 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - looks like I'm going to try out this used one and see what happens with it or if it even moves with my short little chimney. I'm on the list for a manometer so I'll try to get things calibrated correctly from the start.

I really appreciate all the knowledge and information on this forum, I've learned a lot and I just keep reading!

~Rebecca

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Dec. 03, 2008 11:08 pm

A brand new one will be a used one next week. :) I'd give the used one a try & spend the baro money on a manometer. For about $35 you can pick up a Dwyer #25 on eBay.

edd

Post by edd » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 7:32 pm

hi I am new to this forum but can anyone tell me how you go about adjusting a barometric
damper step by step?Ihave a surdiac 512.been using it as emergency heat when power goes out so I am not to familiar adjusting them.Think I have to spring for a new one.This one is about 20 years old and acts kinda sluggish.BTW I am talking about a manual adjustment,no
gages.
Thanks Edd upper Hudson Valley

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 10:36 pm

While using your new manometer, of you find that you can't get the baro set to work properly and the installation is level and plumb, splurge the $40 or so and buy a new baro. I fooled with an old one I had for hours and hours and it just simply didn't work right, I stuck a new one in and presto! I had it dialed in within a few minutes.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”