Buying Used Pipe for Chimney

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 10:27 am

Hey guys I am planning on buying some used pipe for my 30' chimney. I called the manf. and they say it is a dual wall. IS this what I want to use? The girl said it will work fine for a coal stove. It is Metalbestos/Selkirk rated at a218 6t on the tag. There are other pieces are stamped "Metalbestos/Selkirk SSII.

I am buying it from a member on here and just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Not that I am questioning him, but just that I don't know.

Thanks!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 11:26 am

As long as it's some type of stainless on the inside to keep it from rotting out, it should work.

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 3:20 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Hey guys I am planning on buying some used pipe for my 30' chimney. I called the manf. and they say it is a dual wall. IS this what I want to use? The girl said it will work fine for a coal stove. It is Metalbestos/Selkirk rated at a218 6t on the tag. There are other pieces are stamped "Metalbestos/Selkirk SSII.

I am buying it from a member on here and just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Not that I am questioning him, but just that I don't know.

Thanks!
Are you putting up a class A chimney or are you lining a current chimney?
If you are lining a chimney this is not what you want.
This is chimney pipe and if you are putting up a prefab chimney then yes this will work fine.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I am putting up an outdoor chimney up the side of the house.
It isn't 3 wall, is that ok?

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm using Metalbestos S/S for my coal stove. I've been using it for the last 19yrs for wood plus 1/2 of last season for coal. It is good pipe. I would buy it again with no hesitation.

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 5:26 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:It isn't 3 wall, is that ok?
Yes it will work fine.
That is what I am using and it works very well. Easy to keep the chimney warm with the insulation between the pipe walls.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 5:29 pm

Easy to keep the chimney warm with the insulation between the pipe walls.

What do you mean?

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 5:38 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Easy to keep the chimney warm with the insulation between the pipe walls.

What do you mean?
A chimney needs to be warm to work properly. If you just had a steel pipe for a chimney it may cool off enough to stop drafting properly. The prefab chimneys have insulation between the inner and outer pipe to promote keeping the chimney warm and drafting properly. In my opinion they heat up faster and hold the heat better than a masonary chimney. The only draw back is you have to clean them out really well in the spring so they don't rot away.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”