5 Degree Swing of Temperature W/ Coal-Trol

plroot

Post by plroot » Sat. Nov. 29, 2008 10:02 am

I just installed the Coal-trol thermostat Thanksgiving evening. I have not adjusted it since Friday morning. It is set to 74 degrees. The temperature in the house is swinging from 69 to 79. It doesn't seem to be making its adjustments fast enough to keep the temperature constant. The thermostat is set as follows: Min Feed Rate=5, max feed rate=99, CFT=8. The thermostat is located in an adjacent room to the stove on an inside wall. Is the thermostat a dud? I thought it would work better than this. :(

Any help will be appreciated.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Nov. 29, 2008 2:35 pm

Sorry you're running into problems. Here's a couple ideas to try over the weekend:

1) If you have any ceiling fans or anything like make sure to use them. Same goes for a central air furnace, try turning on its blower. Air circulation helps even things out.
2) You can reduce your MAX setting. Maybe try a setting of 75 or even 50 to see if that gets rid of the swings.

Also, see if there are any external heating or cooling sources entering the picture. Is sun hitting the thermostat? People cooking and the heat from the stove influencing the thermo?

If it doesn't even out with these ideas give us a call at 315-299-3589 on Monday. Real-time troubleshooting and information gathering tends to be best.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 29, 2008 4:48 pm

It should maintain within 1 degree normally.

Where is your thermostat located from your stove or the heat from it? Upstairs? Downstairs? Same room? Inside/outside wall?

The placement can make a big factor on how fast the stove responds.

plroot

Post by plroot » Sat. Nov. 29, 2008 7:37 pm

I tried backing the MAX down to 50. That was too much as it won't maintain the temp. I just increased the MAX to 70. We'll see how that does for the weekend. I turned on a fan in the room with the thermostat to make sure the air is circulating to keep it more even. I'll keep an eye on things till Monday. Probably will be placing a call Monday just to be sure I don't have some other issues that need to be adjusted in the setup menus.

Our house is a one floor. The thermostat is in an adjacent room to the stove on an interior wall. The sun can't hit the thermostat. Its also not in the direct airflow of the convection blower.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 30, 2008 1:18 pm

It could be too far away, if it cools down too fast and the stove doesn't have time to catch up, it will cause the wider temperature swings. It should be close enough to get the heat once generated.

You may try setting the HLF (Heat loss factor) in the Advanced menu to 1, that will bump/feed a bit faster when it cools down faster.

Sometimes you have to experiment to see what works for your heating situation, every house is a bit different.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”