Convection Blower Failure

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Fri. Nov. 28, 2008 9:41 pm

My girlfriend turned the convection blower way down the other day, to almost a non moving state. The back of the stoker and hopper started to get heated from the radiant heat and the from convection blower no longer blowing. When she went to turn on the convection blower it no longer worked. I tried to troubleshoot it but stoker was to hot. We put out the fire and let the stoker cool off. Once the stoker cooled off we were going to troubleshoot it but the convection blower started working without a problem.

Could it be that the radiant caused the motor to be overheated which then caused the motor to not operate?

Opinions?

Neal

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Nov. 28, 2008 10:25 pm

If the fire is more than at idle you want the convection fan to run, else it will overheat the stove. Sounds like the Convection fan may be on it's last legs and will need to be replace soon. You can slow down it's untimely demise by keeipng it running as fast as possible when the stove is above idle. :)

ntp71

Post by ntp71 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It's been a busy winter. It turns out there is a thermal switch in the convection motor. It is a Fasco C Frame motor approx 80CFM @ 3000RPM .5Amp in which we run two of them. From what I understand the switch will shut the motor off once it gets to about 105 Celsius, or 221 F. So the problem was simply that we had the convection blower off, which caused the motor to overheat. So when we turned it back on , it no longer worked. Cooled it off, and ran like a champ until the bearings went in one of them. Replaced thanks to help from a very knowledgeable person from Fasco, we were able to replace only the motor and not the entire housing saving at least 60 dollars or more.

I also connected 3 rotary switches to control the feed, convection, and combustion blowers. It took a little adjusting, but we were finally able to tune it in to where the house was comfortable. We still need to button up the windows and maybe insulate more. I'm thinking of making a box with the rotary switches on and an AC Voltmeter above each dial to measure the the voltage being dropped across of each. Maybe even come up circuit design in the process.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, criticisms?

Take care

Neal

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Hook up a Coaltrol, then you don't have to mess with anything. It adjusts feed rate, blower speeds, etc....

ntp71

Post by ntp71 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 9:16 pm

I am aware of the coaltrol, but I am looking at it from a learning perspective.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”