Power Vent a Hand Fed?

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:09 pm

A friend of mine wants to put a hand fed coal stove in his two story garage. He also wants to power vent it to save having to install a chimney. I told him I thought I had read someplace that you weren't supposed to do that. I thought perhaps the problem would be if the power goes out his fire will keep burning, but obviously the power vent will not keep running. He power vents the stoker in his house and had the vent motor quit while the stoker kept burning. So his point is that loosing power to the garage is no worse than having the vent motor burn out of his stoker instalation.

Can anyone tell us what the law says about, and how well it would work to power vent a modern, air tight hand fired coal stove with a properly adjusted barometric damper. :?:

P.S. He only sleeps in the garage when the wife is in one of those moods. :bop:

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:17 pm

The problem arises from just what you have stated. On the stoker there is not much coal to continue to burn if the power goes out but in a hand feed there can be about 50 or so pounds that can continue to burn filling the garage with CO.
Power venting is no choice for a hand fired stove.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Nov. 25, 2008 7:30 am

On a Stoker, If the power vent is wired correctly with a safety flume switch, if the Powervent failed, it is supposed to stop the stove once it got so hot, either stop the stoker itself, or shut the whole stove down.

In a Hand fired, you can just STOP the burn, once it's started, it will continue to burn, if the power vent failed, the stove could still continue to burn and it could build up CO gases into the garage/house.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”