Set up Questions!

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 12:19 am

OK I want to do this right. This is all 8" stove pipe. I deflected a coupling and it fits perfectly in the oval outlet on top of the stove. Next the 90 degree adjustable headed toward the thimble. I have a manual damper I want to put in. Should I spring another $20 for an 8" T and put the baro I'm getting right at the thimble? Or work the baro inline? Also, I have the 8" flue chipped away substantially and hope 8" pipe isn't too big for the nominal 8" flue. A little more chipping and I can fit the 8" stove pipe into the flue and bend it over inside. I want to pack around the thimble with mortar to make a tight seal, is this acceptable? I put a paper plate up to the rough opening and it held in place from the draft, happy about that. I have a stack thermometer and hope to find a manometer soon. CO alarm will go in the room. I can do the metalwork to make a 6" baro fit, is this acceptable?
Thanks again!
Dan

Attachments

Picture 045.jpg
.JPG | 312KB | Picture 045.jpg

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 12:23 am

Here's a pic of the flue work. 8" goes right to the sides. I don't want to totally weaken the liner- seems solid and intact still.

Attachments

Picture 040.jpg
.JPG | 607.6KB | Picture 040.jpg

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 6:50 am

Dan,
I'd put a terra cotta thimble in that opening and seal around it with high temperature mortar to the square liner. Then take your metal smoke pipe into the thimble. Is this a basement? I see drywall that looks like its attached direclty to concrete by the chimney. I guess I'm wondering if there is wood framing behind the dry wall where the stove is sitting. If yes, then you can't use that stove so close to the wall.

Terry

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:53 am

Thanks, A little more sculpture work and a clay thimble seems proper and do-able. Hope I can find a round 8" piece! I have a diamond blade that will cut it to fit lengthwise. Picture is not the greatest, stove is 20" away from the drywall, according to the mfg. plate still on the stove. Stove was made in 1980. Drywall over chimney is installed with no wood behind it. I should remove it and put stone veneer or stucco on the chimney, time and $$$ is a factor though. This is the middle room of the building. I may end up putting a sheet metal heat shield stood off the wall an inch or two, but don't think this is necessary.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”