First Time Install

wells

Post by wells » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 10:12 pm

I am going to attempt to install a hitzer 503 insert into an existing wood fire place. The existing fireplace has a 5" x 18" damper which is currently closed. If I take out the damper out of the existing fireplace, do I need to push some sort of pipe up through it; or will I be okay just inserting the coal stove and allowing the thing to do its own thing? The current chimney is taracota sp? lined and seems to be in relativly good shape. Any help would be great.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 21, 2008 2:16 pm

Hello wells.. yes you need to push several feet of flue pipe through the fireplace damper,, you will have to 'oval' the pipe some since your damper is 5" and your Hitzer 503 has a 6" exhaust.. You MUST seal the rest of the damper off so that no hot air from the stove can escape up the chimney, an so that no exhaust gasses or fumes from the stove can be drawn down the chimney into your house..

There are kits for doing this, the kit has a flue pipe that is oval to fit through the damper, and it has plates on each side to seal of the rest of the damper opening,, you can caulk and seal the opening..

Make sure you install at least two Carbon Monoxide [ CO ] detectors in your house.. one in the room with the stove, and one near the bedrooms in your house.

Greg L

wells

Post by wells » Fri. Nov. 28, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks for the info. Just one more question? If the existing fireplace opening is 25" Height the the stove is 24" height. How do you connect to the stove the push it up through the chimeny.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”