Chimney Backdraft on a Hitzer 503 Insert

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 10:37 pm

I just had a Hitzer 503 insert installed in my FP and connected it to a 30' insulated SS liner. The install was completed last Monday but it was so warm here in NEPA I held off trying to start a fire....until today. While it was still warm here...about 59* at 3pm....I decided to try my first burn. Opened all the windows anticipating that "burn off smell" I've read about. Opened the restrictor plate all the way, opened the ash pan vents all out, crumpled up newspaper, a few pieces of flatwood, fire gel and I was ready to go. So I hit it with a flame....it started up....looked pretty good so I went outside to look for the smoke from the chimney top....and nothing. As I looked back into my house I found out why....smoke was seeping down through the grates and out the ash pan vents into the room. I quickly went back into the house and got a fan to draw the smoke out the opened door. The fire smoldered a bit and actually seemed to smother itself out. Needless to say I'm somewhat apprehensive about the setup. I called the installer and he suggested an 18" extender on top of the chimney....I'm considering it but I'm also looking for suggestions from my carbon brothers here at the forum.
TJ :wtf:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 4:05 am

First suggestion: Wait for a cooler day to try it again. Then stuff a hair dryer in there to get some draft going before you light the fire. I wouldn't be worried, not yet.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 7:46 am

Thanks Freddy.....cooler days are coming and the hair dryer may work to pre-warm the liner. It's 55* this morning so I think tomorrow morning @ 30* or so should be a good time to try again.
Keep the faith....

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 7:58 am

While the hair dryer might do the trick, "forever" they have said to warm the flue with a burning newspaper. Not only will it warm the flue to get the draft initiated, but you'll be able to see if the smoke it going up the chimney.

Today, isn't the best day for a good draft in NE PA. In addition to the warm temp.s, there is a low pressure system present. If you were to go outside and burn your papers, the smoke will stay right on the ground,

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 8:23 am

Tom you're so right....last evening I fired up the grill and started charcoal in a charcoal chimney. The newspaper actually extinguished itself the first try...then I knew it just wasn't a good burning day in Bear Creek. I should have tried the charcoal grill first :x .

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:28 am

I fired her up today after preheating the chimney with a candle. I'm only burning wood for now till it burns off that new stove smell....which isn't too bad....(of course my wife is out visiting her mother). So far so good.....chimney is drafting well enough and everything seems to be working ok.
:nono: Lesson learned: have patience....enjoy the warm days and save the fireworks for actual cold weather!

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:36 am

preheating the chimney with a candle
I don't think, a candle did much preheating. It sounds like the draft was "just there", today.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:57 am

Want a fast draft with no fire? Make a plywood sheet that fits over your ash or loading door when open, make a hole in the plywood for squirrel cage blower outlet , squirrel cage blower attached to ply or is held in place by hand over hole, foil over baro, start blower, run for 30-60 seconds, draft should be good to go. Do it all the time in warm weather, works great. Some wet/dry vacs can also blow, may not need a separate squirrel cage blower. Don't forget to remove the foil.

Brucer

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 10:11 am

Tom you may be right about the draft today but I took the "belt & suspenders" approach...leaving little to chance.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”