Remote Sensor for Coal-Trol

selveng

Post by selveng » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Hello, I have a question for automationcorrect and / or other coal-trol owners:

Can the TS-2 be setup for a remote sensor? Currently my stove (Magnum Stoker) is in the basement and ducted to the first floor. I have an 18/2 shielded control wire between the thermostat and the Harman controller. I'd like to mount a remote sensor up on the first floor, and have the rest of the TS2 and controller mounted on the stove...

I really don't want to pull a new control cord from the stove to the first floor location of the thermostat...

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Greg.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 6:09 pm

The Mag stoker just has a remote 2 Wire thermostat that hooks to the black box of the unit, that unit is different than the CoalTrol. SO, NO, you can't use this with the CoalTrol.

The Coaltrol Thermostat uses standard CAT5 Network Cable (25 feet included), kinda like a larger version of a phone cord, with the RJ type ends, it can be extended using the same type of cable I believe up to 100'. My stove is in the basement and I have the Thermostat in the Living Room about 12 Feet from where the heat comes upstairs.

Post by pvolcko - Does the Coal Trol Offer Any Option to Keep the Stove Off if It Loses Power?

selveng

Post by selveng » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks,

I looked over the wiring diagrams for the existing models of Coal-Trol. I wasn't sure if anyone had requested a remote sensor model yet... I have a lot of drywall wall / ceiling between the stove and existing thermostat. It'll take some cutting to fish a new cat-5 to the thermostat location...
WNY wrote:The Mag stoker just has a remote 2 Wire thermostat that hooks to the black box of the unit, that unit is different than the CoalTrol. SO, NO, you can't use this with the CoalTrol.

The Coaltrol Thermostat uses standard CAT5 Network Cable (25 feet included), kinda like a larger version of a phone cord, with the RJ type ends, it can be extended using the same type of cable I believe up to 100'. My stove is in the basement and I have the Thermostat in the Living Room about 12 Feet from where the heat comes upstairs.

Post by pvolcko - Does the Coal Trol Offer Any Option to Keep the Stove Off if It Loses Power?

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 10:35 pm

You can use a flat end fish tape and bend a paper clip around your existing 2wire thermo cable a pust the tape up through the wall in many cases. You can then carfully drill a 3/4" to 1" hole in the wall a few inches below the current thermostat grapple the end of the tape and genlty pull it out farenough wher you can either get the tape off or snip the paperclip with some side cutters. Then pull the tape out some tape the cat 5 cable fast and pull it back down. If doing this get a heavy duty cable with strain releifs on the end so it isn't as easy to break the cable.

selveng

Post by selveng » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 11:24 pm

jpen1 wrote:You can use a flat end fish tape and bend a paper clip around your existing 2wire thermo cable a pust the tape up through the wall in many cases.
Nice idea!! I've been doing control work for 20 Yrs, and I hadn't heard of that one.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”