To Strong A Draft

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks Rick...I think that's what we'll do to! (I see yours is b4 the baro, rather than after it. Is there a reason to do that?)
In the mean time, the stove company is coming out to check/replace the ash door as it can't stop a fire even when everything is closed tight.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:30 pm

Less chance of killing yourself.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Devil505 wrote:(I see yours is b4 the baro, rather than after it. Is there a reason to do that?)
How could a baro damper work properly if a pipe damper was installed after it?

Assuming the baro damper was set with the MPD wide open, any adjustment of the pipe damper would then change the baro dampers ability to correctly control draft. It would be like you took the baro damper and connected it to a different chimney with totally different characteristics. It would not work right.
Last edited by rockwood on Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:47 pm

rockwood wrote:Assuming the baro damper was set with the MPD wide open any adjustment of the pipe damper would then change the baro dampers ability to correctly control draft. It would be like you took the baro damper and connected it to a different chimney with totally different characteristics. It would not work right.
Got it...Thanks!

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Devil505 wrote:We're gonna try this for a bit:

1. We opened fully the secondary (above fire) air controls on the TLC to reduce the draft going through the coal bed.(we'll leave it set that way)
2. My daughter tells me that I had her so brainwashed into getting the fire livened up b4 shake down that she was letting it practically over fire by itself, b4 she dared shake down. She will now just let the fire brighten a bit b4 shake down.
3. Opening the cleanout door dropped the manometer reading to around. .01-.02wc if it overfires again.
Take the time and read this you want to size the baro to the Breeching /flue & chimney height not the stove pipe coming off the stove you have 6" flue & pipe you can go to a 7" or 8" baro to slow down your draft better if the 6" can't do it

http://fieldcontrols.com/draftcontrol.php

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 5:56 pm

coal berner wrote:Take the time and read this you want to size the baro to the Breeching /flue & chimney height not the stove pipe coming off the stove you have 6" flue & pipe you can go to a 7" or 8" baro to slow down your draft better if the 6" can't do it
Will do...Thanks

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Now you get it?
coaledsweat wrote:If you still have too much draft then you need a bigger baro to cope with it.
coaledsweat wrote:2. That is why you need to re size your baro.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”