Sealing Stove Pipe

Captain Ruggy

Post by Captain Ruggy » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 9:54 pm

I am installing stove pipe for my first stoker, and was just curious as to how everyone is sealing up their pipes. I noticed if I look in the pipe and shine a flashlight at the joint, that I could see quite a bit of light. Even though, the draft shouldn't let it leak, wouldn't I actually be losing some draft to the unsealed pipe?

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 10:01 pm

You don't need to seal the pipes and yes you will lose some draft to the pipes but it is typically not an issue unless you are fighting a very low draft issue.
Give it a try without sealing the pipes.

SteelerCoal

Post by SteelerCoal » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I find that I have some ash falling out of the pipe joints, even though I have adequate draft. It seems that when the ash settles in the pipe, even though it is drafting, some ash will fall out from the places where the stove pipe connects together. I'm thinking of sealing the pipe with some plumbers tape that will not leave residue behind after removing it, but will keep the ash in the pipe. Anyone ever use this? Its a bit pricy, but is good for temps up to 500*.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 11:03 pm

new2coal wrote:I find that I have some ash falling out of the pipe joints, even though I have adequate draft. It seems that when the ash settles in the pipe, even though it is drafting, some ash will fall out from the places where the stove pipe connects together.

I have never had that issue. Maybe it is because I have my pipes put together like a woodstove should be (male end down). My prefab chimney uses a male end for the stove pipe adapter so I just continued that way with the rest of my pipe and cut the crimped section off of the pipe that goes onto the stove collar.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 5:17 am

Gambler, What are you using to cut down your stove pipe ?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 5:21 am

new2coal wrote:I find that I have some ash falling out of the pipe joints, even though I have adequate draft.
I've never sealed my stove pipes & never had any fly ash fall out. Even a slight draft should prevent that.
(air should be sucked INTO any joints)

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 6:57 am

Jack Magnum wrote:Gambler, What are you using to cut down your stove pipe ?
I just use good old aviation snips. You know the kind that have the yellow (Straight cut) green (right cut) or red (left cut) colored handles.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 7:06 am

I got some high temp black silicon & sealed them all after they were screwed together. It'll easily come apart if need be.

Captain Ruggy

Post by Captain Ruggy » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 8:07 am

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try some of that silicone. It would just make me feel better I guess.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”