Manometer Install in an Alaska DV System

stevetro

Post by stevetro » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 9:31 pm

I've read the full 5 page post on Manometer installs and have just a couple more questions to confirm. Mine is a new Channing with Alaska DV:

1. The Alaska comes with a plug in the firebox just left of the main door on the left side. Is this an accurate location for good draft readings? This is what Alaska recommends.
2. I want to mount the Mano permanently since I may throw a DV rheostat into the mix at some point. Does the length of metal tube and rubber tube to the Mano unit affect the readings much? I've seen some pics showing what looks like 4-5 feet of copper tubing, is this OK? Mine will probably run about 3 feet along the left side of the stove.
3. Since I don't want to modify too much (and really don't have the room for it), I'm not entertaining adding a baro damper to this setup. So is the only way to adjust draft in this situation to loosen the set screws to the DV unit and slide the stove front or back to alter draft? This is what Alaska and my dealer say.
4. Where the heck is this venturi hole I'm hearing about on an Alaska?? I've looked and looked with a flash light and just can't find it!! (keep it clean guys!)

Thanks for the great help!

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 10:00 pm

I have the same setup.
1. The Alaska comes with a plug in the firebox just left of the main door on the left side. Is this an accurate location for good draft readings? This is what Alaska recommends.
I wonder if you mean the hole on the left side of the stove about half way up - it's about the size of a thumb. If yours has a screw that would make things easier. Are u sure you're not talking about hte flume swich location? I drilled a hole in my stove below the cast iron top and ran the copper tubing under that and out through the back of the stove. I had to remove the hopper to finish the install.
2. I want to mount the Mano permanently since I may throw a DV rheostat into the mix at some point. Does the length of metal tube and rubber tube to the Mano unit affect the readings much? I've seen some pics showing what looks like 4-5 feet of copper tubing, is this OK? Mine will probably run about 3 feet along the left side of the stove.
My pipe is about the same as you would like to run and I have no problems.
3. Since I don't want to modify too much (and really don't have the room for it), I'm not entertaining adding a baro damper to this setup. So is the only way to adjust draft in this situation to loosen the set screws to the DV unit and slide the stove front or back to alter draft? This is what Alaska and my dealer say.
I called Alaska and got the same info. I then proceeded to install a baro.
4. Where the heck is this venturi hole I'm hearing about on an Alaska?? I've looked and looked with a flash light and just can't find it!! (keep it clean guys!)
It's on the back of the DV unit and is hard to spot. I cemented a piece of sheet metal over the hole right before installing the baro.

stevetro

Post by stevetro » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 11:31 pm

I wonder if you mean the hole on the left side of the stove about half way up - it's about the size of a thumb. If yours has a screw that would make things easier. Are u sure you're not talking about hte flume swich location? I drilled a hole in my stove below the cast iron top and ran the copper tubing under that and out through the back of the stove. I had to remove the hopper to finish the install.
This is a brand new stove so maybe things changed. This hole is 1/4" to 3/8" wide and is at the top left side of stove about 2" from the top, there's a removable plug in it. If you look inside the box, the hole appears to be about 1/2" from the inside top. With this, I'll run the metal tube just under lid overhang then towards rear of stove.

If the DV is hooked to a rheostat, wouldn't that help throttle down the draft? I say that assuming that a DV system should have no problem pulling enough draft... true? With the hopper 2.5" from the wall, the total length of exhaust after the DV unit on mine is only about 12"-13".

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 12:09 am

Cool. Mine doesn't have a plug. It'll make the install that much easier unless the hole is too big. I only needed a 1/4" hole so you have to figure that all out when you buy your fittings. The rheostat will reduce your draft for sure.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”