Direct Vs Power Vents.

Carbon Unit

Post by Carbon Unit » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 5:20 pm

As my knowledge increases with time spent on this forum the question load gets greater. One glaring issue for me is how will vent a unit. My location is such that I will probably vent at the lower area of the wall. Have no chimney. Can someone explain, or direct me to, the differences and applications of a power vent and a direct vent system?? I have come to believe my stove choice will be strongly influenced by the vent location and type.

Al

choyt002

Post by choyt002 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 11:02 pm

From my understanding (new to coal) direct vent is located inside on the stove and pushes air out any leaks in your pipes would = co in your house. Power vent is located outside and is sucking (draft) out if you have any leakes inside they will be sucking air in no co in the house. I alo belive with the powervent outside it makes 1 less motor running in the house (quieter). Pick a leisure line with the coal-trol you will love it.
Chris H

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 11:10 pm

A power vent also gets rained and snowed on so having a motor outside would probably require more maintenance then a DV. I've never owned one but that was the concensus when I was comparing the two.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 6:39 am

A power vent is a generic device that is used for any number of heating units. You adjust it to fit your unit. A direct vent is part of the unit itself and is designed exactly for that unit. A direct vent will almost always use less electricity and for my money is always the better choice. Proper care during installation will assure no leakage.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 8:16 am

Why would a direct vent use less electricity? Both DV nad PV would run 24/7 if you stove is on.

Unless you are say, if you change out your oil or gas furnance to a Direct or Power Vent, it would only run when needed, and then use your chimney just for your coal stove without a DV or PV....

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”