Class A Chimney at Lowes

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 1:22 pm

If anyone wants to order 8", Class A chimney sections, at Lowes, you better think again. The brand that they sell is Supervent. I purchased 2, 3' sections. The sections took 1 month to get to the store. I stopped in yesterday to pick them up. I opened the boxes and they were both badly dammaged. Needless to say, after driving an hour to get there, I was not a happy camper. :mad: The manager ordered me 2 more, but told me that the company (Supervent) has about 5,000 parts on backorder! :shock: He also told me that it looked like it was sent back, dammaged, from a Lowes store (who knows where) to the company. They in turn sent it to his store. :? I got a refund for the pieces and ordered some, from a friend, at a local hardware store. The brand they sell is Selkirk. I will get it next Wednesday. He gave me a great deal. Now, if I could just get that darn K6 here next week, I'll be golden! :yearight:

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 1:34 pm

sterling_40man wrote: The manager ordered me 2 more, but told me that the company (Supervent) has about 5,000 parts on backorder! :shock: He also told me that it looked like it was sent back, dammaged, from a Lowes store (who knows where) to the company. They in turn sent it to his store. :? I got a refund for the pieces and ordered some, from a friend, at a local hardware store. The brand they sell is Selkirk.
Selkirk makes the supervent that is sold at Lowes. They also make superpro that is sold through hardwares stores. The difference is supervent has 304ss inner pipe and a 430ss outer pipe where as the superpro is 304ss both inner and outer pipe.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 10:30 pm

I bought the Selkirk supervent at Lowes also. Grat price when comparing other stores . I would suggest that buyers open every box to check for dents. I brought home 8 boxes of pipe and had to return 5 due to quite a bit of denting. Seems like it dents fairly easy. Upon installation of my first section I twist locked it with some force and it dented some. Also, If your 5ft above the roof line you'll need a roof guy kit JURGK 1 which I had to order. Took about 3 weeks. What I didn't know is Selkirk says you need a roof guy kit for EACH 5ft above roof line. Now I'll have to order another kit and who knows how long it will take.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 6:33 am

I have never had much luck at Lowes compared to H. depot. Home Depot has employees that actually know things while Lowe's employees can't even tell you where they are! :lol:

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Devil,
Your sure right about Lowes employees. I get frustrated whenever I ask them a question about a product they sell. Some of them are down right rude too.I guess other stores are guilty of that as well. Take Walmart. Ever try to ask the sporting goods people questions about what they sell. WOW !! :?

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Devil505 wrote:I have never had much luck at Lowes compared to H. depot. Home Depot has employees that actually know things while Lowe's employees can't even tell you where they are! :lol:
Lowes or HD, It doesn't really matter the employees are the same. I was at HD last year and asked a girl in the paint department what isle the polly tarps were in. And she said what is a polly tarp. :shock:

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 5:21 am

Gambler,
Must be the same girl I talked with . I asked that question and the girl I talked with says WE don't sell pop tarts here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That was priceless,Thing is she was serious.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 1:44 pm

Jack Magnum wrote:Devil,
Your sure right about Lowes employees. I get frustrated whenever I ask them a question about a product they sell. Some of them are down right rude too.I guess other stores are guilty of that as well. Take Walmart. Ever try to ask the sporting goods people questions about what they sell. WOW !! :?
You shop @ that Communist store? Not me Pal, ever since I watched the 1.5 hr documentary on how evil the Walton family really is.......... :x

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 2:03 pm

Not to mention Lowes insists every product and all signage is bilingual. I will avoid them whenever possible. Ask a Canadian how well that works. My Canadian friends say stop it and stop it now. It tears the country up.

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 6:27 am

I've had my share of pet peeves with HD and Lowes. I'll pay the few extra $$ and go to the local Ace Hardware.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 9:00 pm

After being fustrated with HomeDepots help I went to Lowes and a guy there knew how to set me up to order off there computer system all I needed to get my SuperVent up. And when I had extra pieces left over and they refunded me my money. I got the part numbers off SuperVents site first. So he knew what to order. No sales tax here either.

They make a good product now.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 9:18 pm

Jack Magnum wrote:Now I'll have to order another kit and who knows how long it will take.
I don't know what their guy kits are like, but I just fabricated braces with some electrical conduit and a hoop to go around the chimney. Flatten the ends of the conduit, drill them to attach to the hoop, make or buy simple angle-iron brackets for the attachment to the roof. Use two braces to get triangular support.

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 1:23 am

Selkirk Metalbestos SureTemp HT: 430 inside and out. 2100degF rating. Skip the cheap stuff.

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 7:37 am

mikeandgerry wrote:Selkirk Metalbestos SureTemp HT: 430 inside and out. 2100degF rating. Skip the cheap stuff.
The supervent sold by Lowes is manufactured by Selkirk and is 304ss inside and 430ss outside. A little better than Metalbestos if metalbestos is 430ss inside and out. The best that Selkirk makes is the superpro, Which is 304ss inside and out.

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Sorry, my mistake. I thought the supervent was only rated to 1700degF

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”