Replace Your Old CO Detector!!

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sat. Dec. 06, 2014 10:41 am

Kidde has a recall on the hard wired units.

Follow the link below:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Kidde-Recalls ... CO-Alarms/

Rick

vermontday
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by vermontday » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 8:08 pm

We had a similar problem the other night.

Our boiler called us at 1 am. As she is set not to call during sleeping hours for ash dump requests, I knew it had to be something serious.

As soon as I opened our bedroom door, I could smell the rotten egg smell.

I went to the basement and looked at the CO monitor, it said 0, so hopefully the issue just started.

I looked at the barometric damper, it was pulling open, I checked the breach manometer, it read fine.

I felt the auger tube and it was hot!

I looked at the bulk bag our boiler feeds from, WHOOPS!, we ran it out of coal!

I opened the top of the bag to look in and got a face full of fumes coming up out of the auger tube.

I knocked some coal from the sides of the bag to rebury the auger tube and high tailed it out of the basement.

The good news is that the high auger temperature sensor did its job and called us through the autodialer as soon as the problem started happening.

The autodialer is also set to call if the CO alarm above the boiler goes off, but the auger temperature sensor beat it to it.

Attachments

IMG_2602.JPG

High Auger Temp Sensor

.JPG | 60.8KB | IMG_2602.JPG

vermontday
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by vermontday » Sun. Jan. 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Whoops, posted this to the wrong thread!

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 11:29 am

yikes, 1st ever draft stall and CO alarm at 4:55 am this morning.

i attribute it to deep bed running on low and slow settings because of wind contribution in 40* weather, then the wind dropped to zero before dawn and the flue being borderline cool in BB mode just stalled.

was a rather quick and active get up to say the least.

lesson learned. when warm and questionable wind conditions always put it in direct draft and regulate burn with just the primary. no problem.

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Nothing like a CO alarm to get your attention. It's only happened once since we went from a pellet stove to a coal stove. Once was enought . There are now three CO detectors in the house . One from five feet from the stove,one in the living room, and one outside the bedroom door. The one by the stove expires next year so it will be replaced this January. Overkill ?? Not for me and my family.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 1:35 pm

KingCoal wrote:yikes, 1st ever draft stall and CO alarm at 4:55 am this morning.

i attribute it to deep bed running on low and slow settings because of wind contribution in 40* weather, then the wind dropped to zero before dawn and the flue being borderline cool in BB mode just stalled. Last night I contemplated leaving my secondary air open 100%. I'm glad I did. It's definitely worth loosing a little heat up the chimney instead of a draft stall in the middle of the night.

was a rather quick and active get up to say the least.

lesson learned. when warm and questionable wind conditions always put it in direct draft and regulate burn with just the primary. no problem.
This is where secondary air with a low and slow burn comes into play. Without excessive secondary air my draft would stall every time it hit 55 degrees outside with a cool fire.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”