Convection Air Input - Filter-Box Add-On.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 6:51 pm

I started cleaning yesterday ... decided I needed a filter on the stove distribution air fan input.

The pictures aren't the best, but you'll get the idea.
Material: a partial length of 2" x 12" plenum, a 20" x 10" x 1" filter, a 6" round take-off, a 6" round end cap, a piece of 6" pipe and a 16" x 8" grille.

I cut the one side of the plenum to expose the filter (the plenum comes in two halves, which slide together), added some "Z" pieces to slide the filter into and covered the opening with the grille. The opposite side of the plenum has a 6" hole for the take-off to the pipe. I made an end piece to drop over the top end of the plenum which goes into the factory mating flanges. I cut the center from the end cap and screwed it to the blower flange, to accept the other end of the pipe.

The first picture is of the grille, the back side of the filter side of the plenum and the 6" take-off side of the plenum. If it had been just a little smaller, I could have tucked it behind the stove.

Edit: After looking at the pictures, I had another look at the filter box and there is enough room to tuck it behind the stove. :lol: Tomorrow :!:
filter.jpg

Stove filter

.JPG | 60.1KB | filter.jpg

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 9:06 am

Dallas what is the PVC pipe for?

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 9:08 am

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 9:13 am

That's what I thought it was a fresh air intake for your stove. I guess I'm not sure how the PVC is adding air to the stove? Is it to fuel the fire? Is the air filter only for the air that is moving the heat from the stove through the house?

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 9:24 am

The PVC is there to supposedly to add combustion air, if needed. ... to help prevent a negative pressure in the stove room.

The new air filter box is only for the heated air, which is moving through the stove/house.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 11:06 am

I cut the 6" pipe off and moved the filter behind the stove. Plus, a couple more pictures for reference.
filter2.jpg
.JPG | 44.3KB | filter2.jpg

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Dallas, do you think it's going to allow enough air to the stove through the filter? It would seem that the PVC opening is going to have less resistance and suck more air in that way rather then through the filter.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Adam, You're as confused as I am.

The new filter is on the "convection air", circulating around the stove and further into the house for heat. The PVC is to supplement "combustion air", to help the fire burn, if needed.

The PVC may look like it's installed into the filter box, but it just goes under the stove.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 12:45 pm

I got you, sorry I did read that before and then just now read your last post and completely forgot about the one before it.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”