Alaska Stoker Aging?

weigelbrood

Post by weigelbrood » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 7:53 am

My 12 year old stoker appear to be showing signs of age...

This year I replaced the front glass (old was pitted and almost opaque), replaced the combustion motor, squirrel cage and feeder arm assembly. I hoped that these improvements would quiet the stove down a bit... no success.

Is anyone else's stove too loud? Mine is in the dining room, and thus is everpresent with its loud fans and motor noises.

The circulation blower motors are virtually silent.

I also use a SWG powervent that adds its rumbling to the noise level.

Anyone have any success quieting their stoves?

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 8:13 am

Guess my deafness has a Silver lining . I cant hear a lot of the dull low volume noises a lot of folks hear so I am not bothered by them...drives my wife nuts when I cant hear something...humm sounds like another benifit :D
Anything that has motors has possible noise making points. anyplace a motor mounts or a fan belt hooks up etc. can become loose and vibrate. even the motor itself might be worn in the bushings or bearings. Even dust and dirt can create an imbalance and cause noise
If you have brackets that attach to sheetmetal sometimes if you spread a layer of high temp silicone under them and retighten,it will act as a damper and stop the little rattles etc. that make noise.
Never have heard a power vent operate. Only thing I know about them is a friend who had one said "you don't want one" if you have any other option.

weigelbrood

Post by weigelbrood » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 9:57 pm

I was tempted to apply high temp silicone while putting things back together, but wanted to verify that all worked as it should before (glueing) things together. Once it was proven to work, I did not relish the thought of removing and gluing, etc. But if the noise continues, I may take the stove apart piece by piece and put some kind of gasket between every metal joint that is not designed to move!

The powervent works great, but it does cause a constant low rumbling. I have two chimneys that I could use, but would need to move my wife's pantry or the kitchen island in order to relocate the stove. As of now, that's not an option.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”