Coal Trol Thermostat Does Not Power on?

frankdetroit

Post by frankdetroit » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 8:59 pm

I have set everything up and plugged in coal trol to power up thermostat and Thermo stat does not have power. I have plugged and unplugged and plugged unit again and again and can not figure out why it will not power on. The main Coal trol unit has power, it is the thermostat that does not start up. Any suggestions?
Thank you

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Try another network cable?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:27 pm

Let us know if the thermostat powers up with a new network cable.

frankdetroit

Post by frankdetroit » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:29 pm

It did not power up with another network cable.. But thanks for the idea. Anything else I can do?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Go the Coaltrol forum and PM Paul who is a rep. Maybe he has a trick or two to try but it doesn't sound good. I've only heard of one other person having a DOA thermostat in about 2 years.

frankdetroit

Post by frankdetroit » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:50 pm

I have pm'd Paul so hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks for the info.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 10:20 pm

Check the fuse. :)

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 5:18 am

Check your PMs, Frank. You got yourself one of the early units (2005). Kind of amazing it hadn't ever been used until you got it recently. :) Make sure the fuse is good and that the control module power is turned on (either the switch should light up or, if it is a CM1/PB1 control module, one or more of the LEDs on it should light up. Unlike the more recent models where the control module power switch doesn't control the power to the thermostat, some of the older ones did have thermo power controlled by the fuse and power switch. If the fuse and power light checks out as okay we'll have to get both the control module and thermo sent in for servicing.

frankdetroit

Post by frankdetroit » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Here is an update as to why the Coal trol did not power on initially- I sent the unit to the factory for service and updating. The unit got there and was returned amazingly fast. The factory tested the unit and said that it powered up fine so they updated the firmware and sent it right back. I got the unit back and plugged it in and it would not power on. I changed to another network cable and it still wouldn't power on. I was pulling my hair out! I checked the second cable ends carefully and saw that instead of 8 little copper wire ends on the plug there were only 4. No wonder it did'nt work. I checked the plug of the real network cable that I had wired through the wall from the control module and saw that a very little bit of the polyurethane foam that I had used to seal up the hole was on the copper contacts of the network cable plug. I scraped it off carefully and plugged it into the thermo and voila it worked like a charm. I have since fired up the stove and it is running wonderfully. Thanks Coal Trol!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”