Cumbustion Fan Problems

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 11:24 am

hi,
my cumbustion has been stopping on its own today. I have noticed a low fire and go check and the fan has stopped. I just give it a little push with my finger and it starts right back up, but there must be something wrong for it to do that. I have searched the forum for others with the same issue but have not found anything. does the fan need to be replaced? or should I attempt to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. it does seem noisy and I wonder if the bushings are worn or something along those lines.
any ideas?

Alaska channing III stoker

xackley

Post by xackley » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 11:39 am

I would first oil it with some 3-in-1. Each end of the motor probably has an opening waiting for a small drink.
With it unplugged, put your finger in the squirrel cage and give it a spin. Should spin easy and continue spinning some as you watch.

All fans should be cleaned and lubricated at least once a year.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 11:39 am

How old is it? Yes, pulling it apart and lube it up with some good 3/1 Motor Oil (SAE20) for electric motors, NOT car oil.

But, they do get stuff in them if not kept clean every year. OR just might need replaced.

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 11:45 am

not sure of its age. it came with my house. it looks fairly new. it just did it again. I just gave it a little spin and it started back up. I may have to shut it down later today and take it apart. I hate to shut her down though she is burning great right now only on a medium setting ( 80 degrees about 30 feet from stoker)

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 2:55 pm

i just dissasembled the motor and 1 of the bearings was basically frozen up with gunk. I gave it a good spray with rem oil and cleaned it then a light lube and it is good as new. quieter than ever.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 4:44 pm

just dissasembled the motor and 1 of the bearings was basically frozen up with gunk. I gave it a good spray with rem oil and cleaned it then a light lube and it is good as new. quieter than ever.
Good deal, glad to hear it was a minor cleaning issue. I give mine a few drops of 3-1 twice a season, stays nice, quiet and smooth.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”