Alaska Channing With Thermostat Control

VTSkeeter

Post by VTSkeeter » Sun. Oct. 12, 2008 10:54 am

I am looking for some advice on my Alaska Channing III. I have the standard stove with the direct vent and the Alaska thermostat. October weather has us using the stove now and it seems to be doing a great job. We can maintain an even 70 degrees throughout the living areas on the main floor with the thermostat set on 70 and the controls set on 5 for high and 4 for low. We are heating about 1700 sq. ft. My question is, what are the magic numbers for the controls to minimize coal usage? I tried setting the ontrols to 3 and 2 and the stove went out :? . Any advice will be most helpful. :|

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Sun. Oct. 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Hello,
I have the big alaska with the same type controls, This type of weather (early fall) I usually set mine at 4 and 1 1/2, I can keep small basically 1" to 2" burn area, and when called for about 4" burn on the hi side.. Just keep experimenting with the low side till you get it right, all stoves don't burn quite the same. Good luck.. :)

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Sun. Oct. 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Well I have the optional alaska thermostat like you do however I have it currently mothballed in favor of the coal-trol . The problem is no one is going to be able to give you a base point using the scale on the alaska dials. For example I had a similar problem with mine but somewhat wore because I had to to run the low side fire above the high side to even keep it going. The reason for this is alaska not calibrating the dials vs. ther scale on the control box. The low side would only physically turn to the 2 position and not go all the way down like the high side would. I then loosend the set screws on the knobs and I calibrated them so as ther where at least centered on the burn scale range. After I did this The low was about 1.5-2 (about 3/4" wide front to back) and the high varied from 4.5 to 7 ( 4" to 6" wide)depending on the weather conditions. With practice and a good thermostat that has a really good heat anticipator and patience on your part you can make it keep the house fairly even in temp. , however knowing what I do now I never would have paid the extra $250 for that thermostat . I would have saved it and applied it to the coal-trol.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Oct. 12, 2008 5:48 pm

What are your outside temps because it is getting into the 70's hear and if I run the stove it keeps the stove room at 78. I had to shut it down.

VTSkeeter

Post by VTSkeeter » Sun. Oct. 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Yea, we did also. Typical fall weather, cool nights warm days. We will fire it up again when the temp drops to the low 40's. The house doesn't get too cold without it but it sure feels nice in the mornings.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”