I'm Getting There Slowwwly

slb04786

Post by slb04786 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Well, I have my second flue re-lined and the oil boiler has been moved and the zones re-plumbed back into it with 1.25" T's. With a 3 day weekend coming up I hope to get the 2 halves of my DF520 together, lift the 2 pieces off the dolly and sit them on the blocks where it will reside, hook everthing up and build a coal bin. Sounds easy enough!! I'm still not sure how I'm going to lift the boiler to get the dolly out from uner it and the blocks slid in place. Do you guys think a "come along" will be sturdy enough to lift the boiler up long enough to situate everything? I figure I'll need to cut a couple of logs and use those to "wedge" a 6x6 beam against the rafters in the basement and hang the come along from that. Ceiling is about 7.5' to the bottom of the rafters.

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 3:38 pm

I build a pipe stand out of 1.25" and tee with a chain fall to lift my boiler on the stand
BDD

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 4:05 pm

Keep the faith buddy, my install is winding down, it is a boiler with 80 feet of pipe and I had no chimney to start with.
Save more than a grand doing it myself (with a little help from my friends...on this board:-)

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 4:47 pm

I used a Lug all come along to lift my boiler to get things situated,about 600lbs.I have a laminated center beam that runs under the floor joists through the basement.I would not have wanted to put anymore weight on it with out some 4x4 posts in the area of the sling I had attatched to the beam but it worked with out them.

Attachments

boiler componants 007.jpg
.JPG | 122.3KB | boiler componants 007.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 5:24 pm

I like that, the "Darth Vader" finish. :)

slb04786

Post by slb04786 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Doug - your attachment didn't come through

Coalmeister - I hear ya on saving money. I was at Lowes with my wife and she commented about how much it was costing to install the boiler and that maybe we should have hired someone to install it. I told her that "if it will make you feel better...I'll be glad to mark these supplies up 100% and charge you an extra $2000 in labor" Then I could buy that new 60" flat panel I want. That was the end of that conversation. I know she was half joking.

Richard - I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it to the EFM forum. Sorry

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”